chapter 29

In the velvety darkness of the horse drawn carriage, the gentle rhythm of hooves on cobblestone was the only sound to penetrate the silence

In the velvety darkness of the horse drawn carriage, the gentle rhythm of hooves on cobblestone was the only sound to penetrate the silence. the evening air was crisp and cool, filtering through the small windows and bringing with it the earthy scent of the city streets.

From your seat, you extended a hand, a soft and delicate gesture, towards Ominis. His palms were clammy with nerves, a stark contrast to the chill of the evening, and you could feel the tension radiating off him. your fingers, intertwined with his, offering a comforting solidity that seemed to ground him amidst his sea of anxieties.

The carriage creaked as it navigated the uneven roads, the flickering light from the gas lamps outside casting dancing shadows on Ominis face. 

In the corner of the carriage, the butler sat silent and stoic, his eyes flickering between the two of you. 

He was a man of quiet observation, his keen gaze missing nothing. 

Ominis's apprehension was palpable to him, a tension that filled the carriage, and he watched as it was gently, and expertly, assuaged by you. 

His eyes, hardened and wise, held a hint of disapproval.

From the butler's perspective, he was a silent spectator to a play of emotions. Ominis's perplexity was like a cloud of smoke, filling the carriage, yet you held the power to dissipate it.

He watched the interactions between you both, confused and baffled by the ever so evident love that was being displayed in front of him. 

From the little time he got to know you in, he knew of your kind heart, and warmth as you treated everyone with respect and kindness. never falling short on helping the maids and workers in the mansion. 

Appalling to him, considering your status. He would often lecture you, his pose almost robotic as he spoke his words with you, a usual part of his personality you thought. 

"It doesn't matter to me, we are all humans, and it's natural to want to help each other" You often responded to him when he asked of you to stay still, and act like a lady.

Watching you now, falling for a wizard who's family was anything but kind, or merciful baffled him. Although he was worried, he knew not to over step his boundaries and talk to you, especially not with Ominis sitting next to you. 

He restrained from saying anything, knowing full well your grandfather was more than willing to do that job instead of him. 

The carriage rolled on, carrying its precious cargo into the awaiting night. 

Your hand remained steadfastly in his. your warm presence a constant reassurance. 

In the quietude of the carriage, your words echoed once more, a promise whispered in the darkness "It will be alright Ominis" you tried to sound confident but your voice almost betrayed you.