28 - Danila's Past

Mulai dari awal

The next morning, Mia woke up to a text from Kirill.

You can't visit me again this month. The third visit was taken away.

Mia stared at the text while Danila slept beside her and felt heartbroken. The text was abrupt and the information was harsh. She wanted to see him so badly. She decided to see him right after New Years.

I will come see you right after New Year's? I miss you so much.

Yes. Come right after that. K.

Ok. I love you.

Mia responded and read his text again and waited for something else but Kirill sent nothing. She was surprised and worried, he was usually so affectionate even in his texts from prison. She decided maybe there was something going on and he couldn't text. She deleted the conversation and sighed. It was only ten days before New Year's, she could be patient.

Vladislav told her to relax for the rest of December and during the January holidays and the days dragged on. She stayed in the house with Danila and sometimes cooked and baked.

She made chocolate chip muffins with some difficulty as not only could she not find proper chocolate chips in Russia, she couldn't find the correct muffin tins either.

"Why are you guys so obsessed with muffins?" Danila asked laughing while he watched her struggle to get the muffins out of the tin. She smiled and said,

"Why are you not obsessed with muffins?! They are delicious, can be nutritious, they have a soft bottom and a crispy top hat! The perfect treat!" She placed a muffin on a small plate and walked over to sit in front of Danila at the round breakfast table as darkness enveloped the outside once more in the late afternoon.

She broke off a piece of a muffin and when he reached for it, she moved it out of his way and brought the piece to his mouth instead. He smiled and opened his mouth so she could feed him. What a blissful moment, he thought.

"I don't want to get married so soon." She told him and placed her hand on his cheek. "I can't possibly reconcile what's happening in my life with getting married...so quickly. And it's freezing outside." She ended with a small smile.

Danila chewed slowly, his moment of joy crushed with her words. At the same time, she didn't say she didn't want to get married at all, she said she didn't want to get married so soon. He quickly thought about it. He wanted to get her on his side so badly, he could concede to that.

"Okay." He said simply. "We will postpone. Pick a time that you like."

Her eyes lit up and she smiled at him with excitement. "Really? You mean that?" She asked him in disbelief.

"Yes...of course...I want you to be happy. I lo-"

"You love my baking!" She interrupted him and brought her face closer to him. "I know, some things we just do better than you guys." She smiled at him and tried to run past his words.

He recognized it but didn't push it. Danila was patient. He was waiting for Kirill's decision and knew that no matter what it would be, the wheels were already in motion.

He gave Kirill's words a lot of thought. He really did seem certain that she would kill herself if he died. Danila didn't fully believe it but he didn't want to play with such a serious possibility.

One evening as they finished up dinner, Danila turned to her and said,

"You told me you felt like you didn't know who I was. Come, let's have a drink and I'll tell you everything."