|| Ashtavimshati: The Wedding Celebrations ||

Começar do início

"You are right. Not everyone can do what your Svami does." Krishnaa shook the gravity off her face and looked at her friend. "Now, my dear Satyaa, you have to tell me. How are you and what's going on in Dvaraka?"

"Pradyumna is getting married and we all are obviously very excited!" Satyabhama exclaimed. "When he returned to Dvaraka after killing Shambarasura, he brought Mayavati along as his wife. We didn't get the chance to celebrate his wedding. Now that he's marrying again, we can fulfil our wish of witnessing him get married! Especially Rukmini is very happy as her niece is becoming her daughter-in-law!"

Krishnaa giggled. "It's hard to believe that now you all are mothers-in-law and that Madhava is a father-in-law, Sakhi!"

"As strange as it sounds, it really isn't that strange, Panchali!" Satyabhama shook her head at her friend's teasing. "Pradyumna grew up magically. It's been just nineteen years since his birth, he's already twenty-nine years old. It's natural for him to marry."

Krishnaa nodded her head innocently, pretending to be grasping what her friend was saying, though mirth danced in her eyes. Satyabhama smacked her arm playfully as both of them ended up laughing.

"By the way, you did not tell me about Pradyumna-Rukmavati's alliance!" Krishnaa raised her eyebrows. "How did Yuvaraja Rukmi agree to ally with the Yadavas?"

"When it came to his daughter, he couldn't behave the same way he had done with his sister once. Perhaps he had realised his mistake and through his daughter, he's trying to correct himself now. It also has to do with his affection for Rukmini. He hasn't softened much towards Svami but he was convinced when Rukmini spoke to him."

"Does that mean the proposal was from your side? You chose Rukmavati for Pradyumna?"

"No, actually it was from their side.Yuvaraja Rukmi sent an invitation to Dvaraka for the Svayamvara of Rukmavati. Pradyumna attended the Svayamvara on the behalf of the Vrishnis and Rukmavati herself garlanded him. Later, he defeated the other participants and proved himself worthy of her hand. Her father wasn't pleased right away but he had no other choice. Pradyumna remained the only option as all the other royals were defeated at our son's hands, and Yuvaraja Rukmi couldn't deny as he was the one who sent the invitation to Dvaraka. He appeared hesitant at first but when Rukmini assured him about Rukmavati's future, he eased up."

"Mata!" The conversation was interrupted by someone's loud call. "Mata Satrajiti, Mata Rukmini is looking for you!"

"I'm coming, Maya!" Satyabhama responded and turned to Krishnaa. "Panchali, I have to go look after the rituals. You too need rest to take part in the celebrations later. Don't worry about the children, they'll be fine with Bhanu, Samba and the others."

"As you say!" Krishnaa acquiesced and watched Satyabhama hurry away from there before Mayavati, the wife of Pradyumna, appeared to take her to the guest quarters.

"Namaste, Maharani!" A young and lively woman, her age mystically inscrutable, bent down to take her blessings.

"Saubhagyavati Bhava!" The daughter of Agni pulled her up. "You really possess the radiance of a goddess, Mayavati!"

"To recognize somebody's godly radiance in one glance, one has to be a goddess herself, Pitrisvasa." Mayavati smiled affectionately, her respect for Krishnaa audible in her words. The latter stared admiringly at the former, witnessing all that she heard from Satyabhama and Rukmini with her own sight. The embodiment of Devi Rati!

______

The pre-wedding rituals had started in full-swing soon and during the course of the celebrations, Krishnaa had met with most of the Yadava family. For the haridra ceremony, all the ladies from the groom's side went to bless Rukmavati, and there, she was introduced to the Vidarbha family as well.

"Rukmavati is so fortunate!" The bride's mother commented post the haridra ritual, once all the wives of Krishna and the other family members of Vrishni left the hall including Rukmavati herself. Only Krishnaa and Pritha remained, who were about to leave, and they were being led back to the palace by Mayavati. They all turned towards the scene as the statement was loud enough for them to hear. They all smiled at each other and were about to go but the next words that came stunned them completely.

"My daughter will not only become the daughter-in-law of Rukmini and Krishna, and the wife of Pradyumna, but she will also be the mother of Pradyumna's heir in the future. She will give birth to her husband's first child! Isn't she the embodiment of fortune?"

"You are right!" Rukmi responded to his wife very casually and confidently. "Our princess will complete this incompleteness in Pradyumna's marital life. In fact, Pradyumna is more fortunate that Rukmavati chose him."

Mayavati silently slipped away from there and by the time Pritha and Krishnaa came out of the effect of the words they heard, they did not find her anywhere. After that incident, Krishnaa did not find Mayavati anywhere. She tried hard to inform about this incident to the Vrishni family but she did not know how to. It did not sound appropriate to her to talk about this amidst the auspicious rituals, and Pritha too was of the same opinion. Later that night, the princess of Panchala finally managed to spot Mayavati in one lone corner of the gardens, sitting quietly.

"Maya!" She sprinted towards the wife of Pradyumna and placed her palm on her shoulder. "Where have you been? Have you talked to Rukmini or Pradyumna?"

"No, Pitrisvasa, and I won't. I don't want to spoil this happiness. Mata is so ecstatic as she is reuniting with her family after years. This alliance is the medium to her happiness and I can't be an obstacle in the way of her happiness. Neither will I disturb Pradyumna in his happiest moments."

"And Madhava?"

"He'll know. He'll understand. But I'll not take advantage of that. Right now, it's imperative that Rukmavati and Pradyumna get married. Everything else is trivial, Pitrisvasa. Those statements are not even technically wrong for me to overreact. I just needed some time to process and accept the truth, that's all!" Mayavati assured and left the place, not willing to prolong the conversation.

Krishnaa found herself extremely perplexed at what all she was hearing. She was very well aware of the complications in the marital lives of the royals and certain narrow mindsets that existed in the society. But she had never been accepting towards them and she was shocked to see Mayavati doing it. If this little insult is hidden from everyone, it would indicate an acceptance to the insults that may come up in future.

How can Rukmavati gain happiness when Mayavati is suffering? One cannot be so self-sacrificing that they lose their own self in that process!

_____

Hello!

I know that you all are a bit, actually not a bit but are fully confused. Let me clarify that this is Subhadra Harana track only and the main part is coming up soon. Now why is this part here before that part?

I have a purpose and an intent behind adding this little subplot. I'll not really reveal much now but if you are able to guess, you can comment what you think is the reason behind bringing up Pradyumna-Rukmavati marriage at this point.

The timeline is according to my rough calculation as the scriptures say that Pradyumna grew up quickly. I've taken the story of Pradyumna from Harivamsa. It's all found there, including his marriages. The conflict that came in this chapter is obviously a fictional thread that I've woven for the sake of this story (but let me also clarify that Mayavati's children are not mentioned in the scriptures).

Let's see how this will proceed.