Charlie. One last time

Song recomendation for the chapter: Gorgeous. - Reputation. - Taylor swift.
—————————-

Had Nick always been that strong?

He could feel the alcohol in him as well as in the others. They had been dancing and talking together for a while, and although Matias had returned to his side Charlie could not care less about him compared to Nick's bare arms. He was really happy to be with most of his friends again, to see them talking and laughing, to see them... Why didn't Nick wear those kind of shirts more often? They looked really good on him.

His gaze traveled from whoever was talking to Nick, from Elle's joke to Nick's arms, from Tao's story to Nick's hair. From Matias' hand on his waist that actually made him quite uncomfortable in Nick's eyes.

Everything somehow came back to Nick. All the things did.

"Can we talk for a second?" Matias whispered in his ear, Charlie barely heard him, and half reluctantly agreed and followed him into the showroom. Although there were still people in the garden the house was already emptying. The two sat across from each other on the living room floor.

"What do you want to talk about?" Charlie knew, but didn't want to bring it up.

"I don't know if I like your ex."

"You don't even know him. Give him a chance."

"I... something happened."

"What are you talking about?"

"Nick. He... I think he has other intentions."

"What intention's?"

"I ran into him on my way to the bathroom and we chatted. I don't know...he seems like a nice guy but I think he was hitting on me."

Charlie knew immediately that was impossible, but it still hurt.

"I don't think so... Nick's not the type to hit on someone at a party like that."

"You don't know that for a fact, it's been a long time. He got possessive and jealous of us and then tried to hit on me."

"I don't understand."

"I tell you what happened. I don't know, I feel like he came back just to play with the past and then go away again...I'm afraid he'll leave you like when I met you. I don't know what you talked about before, and you don't have to tell me." I take his hand. "But I don't want him to hurt you anymore."

Somewhere in Charlie the doubt started. Of course this was too good to be true. Matias was complicated but he had been there for him when it all fell apart. It didn't sound like Nick what he was telling him...but lying to him didn't seem like a good move.

"Nick wouldn't do that to me. We're just...we're trying to heal from our past."

"I mean, and that is fine and all, but hitting on your ex's boyfriend when you're trying to apologize... I don't know if that's the best way."

"We're boyfriend's now?"

"Well, sure... didn't you want that?"

"I think... yes...but I wonder if all this would have happened if you weren't so immensely jealous of Nick."

"I'm not jealous."

"Then this isn't a rant about superiority and claiming territory."

"Those are Nick's words right? I'm telling you he us just coming back to annoy us."

"You don't know him."

"It's been five years, do you know him?"

Charlie just stood there. HE didn't wanted to believe him, but there was still doubt, and fear.