Charlie. Hello again.

Song recommendation for the chapter: The one - Folklore - Taylor Swift.
——————

Charlie was waiting in the park near Tao's house as they had agreed. Meanwhile, he was trying to convince Isaac through messages that he should come soon and help out at the girls' library downtown. At the moment, they only had a terrible selection of random books, and they needed Isaac.

"And add more fuel to the fire? Charlie, do you realize the drama that's approaching?" Isaac had become much more confident and outspoken since he moved to Paris with Tao. "Helping the girls with the library sounds great. I have lots of ideas, and at my parents' house I have boxes and boxes of books I'd love to donate. But I can't just leave my classes hanging."

"Since when does your presence fan the flames of chaos, Isaac? In reality, I think your presence would help us all calm down and not let all the drama of Elle and Tao, and well, mine and... Nick's, consume us. Maybe you can do what Tao did and find a place here. Can't you advance your professional practices?" Isaac was studying library science, and establishing a queer and community library focused on local culture would look incredible on his resume.

"I thought that was Imogen's job, to clear the fire... but I've considered it. I even have a plan in mind, but I don't know. I'm not sure I can come back yet."

"I haven't talked to Imogen about Nick in a long time. She used to be a good confidante about how he was when I was really curious and didn't have the strength to ask him directly. But in the past year, we haven't talked much, and Tara and Darcy don't want to get in the middle of both of us."

"I don't blame them. Charlie, obviously, I want to go see everyone... I'll find a way to sneak away for a while. Just as an excuse for the new library, of course."

"How excited I am to see you!"

"As excited as I am to see you." Charlie couldn't help but smile.

"How's everything going with Matias, by the way? Do you plan to tell the others about you two? Or introduce us to him finally?"

"I second that question. I need to scare him too."

Tao's voice made Charlie quickly put down his phone and rush into his arms. Tao looked good, really good, with his long, straight hair, knitted cap, and dressed completely in black, like a good and mysterious photographer. "You have no idea how much I've missed you," Charlie whispered in his ear as they hugged. "You should have let me pick you up at the train station."

"My whole family, uncles and aunts and all, were there. I love you too much to let you experience that."

"I love your family."

"They love you too. I've missed you so much, little one. You have to tell me everything."

"You first," Charlie said, as Tao left his backpack next to the bench and sat down with him. "Starting with why you didn't tell me you were coming."

"I wanted it to be a surprise. The truth is, I was afraid that Elle would find out before it was time... and everything turned out terrible, as usual. Is she angry?"

"Elle? No, not at all. She's excited, I think. She doesn't know what to expect, but she wants to see you and find out how you're doing."

"It's terrible, Charlie. It's the last thing I want to do. See her. It upsets me so much. I miss her so much, and I left her in such a bad state because of my stupid mistakes."

"Your careers are no mistake, and believe me, she didn't look angry. I think eventually, both of you understood that the long-distance thing stopped working... besides, you two never stopped being friends and staying in touch. Not like me and..."