Charlie. Denial.

Song recomendation for the chapter: I almost do - Red. - Taylor Swift.

------------------------

"Are you awake?"

Charlie's phone lit up with a surprising message from Nick as he tried to do homework with Elle. He loved working in the small makeshift studio that Elle had set up in her house. She painted while Charlie put the finishing touches on one of his imaginary number projects. Both of them heard the notification from his phone over the music coming from their speakers, and neither could contain their excitement. They had agreed to have a sleepover the night before Charlie's concert so that they could vent about everything that was happening in their lives before facing Tao and Nick again.

"Is it him?" Elle bit her brush as she stopped paying attention to her painting for a moment. When she painted, her face got covered in small spots, and she had already designated an old overall for painting. She looked beautiful, and Charlie had sent her a photo of her painting to Tao without her noticing, to which he had only responded with a sticker of a kitten on fire.

"I don't think so. It's probably Karina with some update... It's him! How did you know?"

"I'm a witch, I told you."

"Something like that, I'm with Elle working at her house. How about you?"

"Working this late? The artist's life is so tough. I just got back from a bunch of boring meetings at Thurman. It was strange being on the other side. But I felt important."

"You see, when art calls, it calls. You make us sound more bohemian and interesting than we are. I'm working on imaginary numbers homework, and she's painting. I can't believe you're already part of the teachers we used to complain about in high school. Does that mean we're old now?"

"Have you talked this much after the messages the other day?"

"No... it's the first time. I had thought about saying something to him, but I didn't dare. I really want to know how his return has been, but we agreed to meet up until the concert."

"So... is this a step forward, then? Have you thought about what you're going to say when you see him?"

"I'll probably think of a thousand things and then forget each one and say whatever comes to my mind at the moment, which will undoubtedly be silly, cheesy, and strange."

"Wow, you sure have confidence in yourself. It actually doesn't sound like a bad plan."

"It definitely means we're old. Soon I'll need a cane to enter the physical education classroom. I was afraid I wouldn't feel old enough to teach so many kids, but I saw a few of them today, and I can't believe how small they look. It's weird to imagine us like that. What is Elle painting? I'd ask you about imaginary numbers, but I won't understand a thing."

"I know, it's been so long. But believe me, we probably looked even smaller back then. Generations nowadays are much more precocious." He continued by sending the picture of Elle that he had sent to Tao.

"I can't believe you sent her that picture."

"You look amazing... besides, I sent it to Tao before that."

Elle proceeded to hit him with a pillow.

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU, CHARLIE."

"Elle looks amazing. I need to have one of her paintings; I love them. Tell me Tao already has this picture."

"I just sent it to him, which earned me a slap in the face. She's the best. I love them too. What a shame you're not asking me about imaginary numbers; it was my chance to sound smarter than I am."