Chapter 1 - Here we go again...

Morgaine 'Morgan' Roberts

I sigh and blink at the screen. If I wasn't so stubborn, I'd give up on my goal to get through the list of movies I found. It was advertised as five hundred movies you must see; as if missing out on a single one would make your life worse.

So far, a couple of them have been great, most of them are watchable, but quite a few are outright boring. Like this one. It's some war movie from the eighties, and I couldn't care less about the characters.

But, I made up my mind, so I keep watching.

When I hear someone outside my dorm, I'm relieved that the tedium has been broken.

Kat is chatting with Brick as they open the door.

"Morgan. You dyed your hair."

She looks so happy. I get up and hug her. Kat reminds me of a delicate flower. Her dirty blonde hair is always styled, and she wears just enough make-up to get a glowy, fresh look. She's shorter than me by a couple of inches and, unlike me, she loves to wear colorful dresses.

"You're back. How was the trip?"

Brick comes inside with her bags and puts them down. Brick is her hockey goalie boyfriend who only has eyes for her. He's much taller and larger, but anyone with half a brain can tell she's in charge.

"It was great." Kat smiles at Brick under her lashes and I almost roll my eyes at their affection for each other. "It was so much fun seeing where Brick grew up and his mom is so nice."

"She really liked you," Brick says and kisses her head. "They all did."

"And hopefully, my parents will like you just as much when they meet you."

"When they're ready," he says effortlessly.

Kat had wanted to bring Brick home for Christmas, but JD and her parents wouldn't hear of it. As a compromise, she flew down to spend new year's eve with Brick's family.

"How was your new years?" Kat asks.

I laugh. "You already know I spent it with my family. I sent you pictures."

Kat had sent me some pictures as well. I had no idea Brick's family was rich-rich. But the enormous fireplace, the curved staircase and the size of the rooms at his grandparent's place had made my jaw drop. Someone had taken a picture of Kat and the whole family on a balcony looking out over a lake reflecting fireworks.

And she fit in perfectly.

"But you didn't send me pictures of this." She reaches up and touches my now blue hair.

"Would you believe I got bored with the pink? I needed a change." I check my hair in the mirror. It's new and I'm absolutely in love with the dark ashy blue.

"It looks so good. I love the color."

"Thanks. I think I'll keep it for a bit. But as I was getting the supplies, I was so tempted to do some form of rainbow hair."

She shakes her head. "You're so brave."

There's no stopping the laughter. "It's not brave when there's nothing and no one holding me back. Then it's just change."

Kat's phone buzzes, and while she checks it, I turn to Brick. "So, you never said you grew up in a mansion with a private lake?"

He blushes a bit. "The lake isn't private. There are several properties lining it."

"I'm still jealous. It looked gorgeous."

"It used to be my favorite place." He looks at Kat and I know I'm going to regret asking.