↞chapter fifteen↠

*a few weeks later*
Riker's POV:
I was standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean, holding a picnic basket and a blanket. I set it out, and Lanie and I sat on it. We talked until we both started leaning in. We kissed.
I shot up in my bed. Did I really just dream that? Well, I know Lanie is gorgeous, but she's my best friend! She's so beautiful inside and out, especially, those eyes. What am I saying?!?! Do I like Lanie? Ye- Wait... What!?! I've got to talk to somebody! Ooh, Rydel will know! I knocked on Rydel's bedroom door, and she let me in.
"Whatcha need?" She said.
"I have a problem. What would you do if you had started to develop feelings for a friend that has you in the friend zone?"
"Well, unless she has told you that she doesn't like you, you still have a chance. She may secretly like you, but thought you friend zoned her."
"What if she has a boyfriend?" I asked, trying not to make it sound like Lanie, but probably failing epically.
"Well, that's a tough one."
Lanie's POV:
Riker came downstairs and sat down next to me on the couch. He pulled me into a side hug. Most of the time, I wouldn't think much of it, but it seemed weird. I ignored it, and went on to tell Riker that I had decided to fly in to surprise Dylan before he had to start college. I had bought the tickets earlier and packed all I needed to do was leave. Yeah, it was short notice, but I had to do it soon. The flight left at 11:00, and it was 9:00 now. I said my goodbyes and left.
*after the flight*
I took a taxi to Dylan's dorm. I got up to his dorm and knocked. Some guy answered it and let me once I had told him I was here to see Dylan. I walked in their living room to find Dylan kissing some brunette. I started walking out.
"Lanie, wait! I ca-"
"Save it, Dylan. We are through!" I walked out of the place and got a taxi back to the airport. I deleted and blocked anything of his. I actually felt relieved for some reason. I guess the whole long distant thing was crazy to even attempt. I started thinking about it more and started crying. He was my first boyfriend. My first relationship ended with him cheating on me. Wow, I'm having mood swings. I continued to cry until I decided to call Riker.
Riker: Hi, Lanie! Was he surprised?
Lanie: More like, I was surprised. I found him cheating on me. I'm heading back to L.A. on the next plane.
Riker: Ok, but we are going to talk about when you get here. Bye!
Lanie: Bye.
I hung up, and bought a ticket for the next flight to L.A.
*after the flight (once again)*
I got off the plane. I walked through the airport to see my best friend running to me.
"Lanie!" Riker said tackling me in a hug.
"Calm down. I haven't even been gone a day!" I said.
"You're gonna be ok. Let's go home," he said totally ignoring my comment. When we got home, he pulled me onto the couch and held me. Something is definitely not right. He only does stuff like this when he's sad, I'm sad, or he's hiding something.
"Riker, you feeling ok?" I asked.
"Of course! Are you feeling ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine, but why exactly are you holding me?"
"A guy can't hold his best friend when she just got her heart broken?"
"Riker, I'm not even really that heartbroken. He tore up my self confidence even more than before, but I'm not heartbroken. I'm actually kinda mad that I paid for a plane ticket to go see him," I said.
Riker's POV:
She obviously didn't want me to hold her. I'm so friend zoned! I loved holding her though. I know what you are thinking. How does he already think this way?!? I think it was always her. Like, I've always liked her, but it took a dream to realize it. Ooh, that reminds me of a song! Lanie went somewhere, and I headed down to the garage. I picked up a guitar and played It Was Always You by Maroon 5.

"Woke up sweating from a dream
With a different kind of feeling
All day long my heart was beating
Searching for the meaning

Hazel eyes I was so color blind
We were just wasting time
For my whole life
We never crossed the line
Only friends in my mind
But now I realized

It was always you
Can't believe I could not see it all this time, all this time
It was always you
Now I know why my heart wasn't satisfied, satisfied
It was always youu
Youuu
No more guessing who
Looking back now I know it was always you always you

All my hidden desires finally came alive
No I never told a lie to you so why would I start tonight

Hazel eyes I was so color blind
We were just wasting time
For my whole life
We never crossed the line
Only friends in my mind
But now I realized

It was always you
Can't believe I could not see it all this time, all this time
It was always you
Now I know why my heart wasn't satisfied, satisfied
It was always youu
Youuu
No more guessing who
Looking back now I know it was always you always you

Ahhhhhh oooooo
You ou ou ou ou (repeat)
Ahhhhh oooo
You ou ou ou ou (repeat)

Woke up sweating from a dream
With a different kind of feeling

It was always you
Can't believe I could not see it all this time, all this time
It was always you
Now I know why my heart wasn't satisfied, satisfied
It was always youu
Youuu
No more guessing who
Looking back now I know it was always you always you"

"That's about Lanie, isn't it?" Rydel asked while coming into view.
"Umm... No! Why would you say that?!?" I said a little too quickly.
"I can't believe you like her! It's going to happen! Rocky so is going to owe me 20 bucks!" she rambled.
"Del, calm down! It's obvious that she doesn't like me! I tried to hold her earlier, and she asked if I was ok."
"It may be because you are being different, and she doesn't know how to take it. Just act normal," she said and left.
Rydel's POV:
I went to talk to Lanie. I heard her singing Wishing I Was 23. Hmmm, this could be good. I walked in, and she stopped.
"Do you like Riker?" I blurted out. She looked taken back and didn't answer. I squealed really loud. Someone came running up the stairs. Riker burst through the room, looking concerned.
"What's wrong?!?!" he asked.
"Nothing. We were just talking about going to a concert," I answered like a pro. He nodded and left. "Lanie, this is huge!!! How long have you liked him?" She whispered something that I couldn't hear. "What?"
"Almost five years."
"Don't worry. I won't tell," I said and walked out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rilanie?
Rilanie.
Sorry I haven't updated for a few days. 😬