Mr Stinson looked torn... and I felt out of place watching their family drama unfold.

"Surely you can go visit your mom's grave anytime. This lunch had been planned long ago, Noah"

"You have a lot of nerve, Grace", Noah shook his head at her

"Hey, watch your tone when speaking to my wife, Noah", Mr Stinson admonished in his no nonsense tone

Okay... that was my cue for I needed to get the hell out of there.

"Dad", Noah looked right at him "Don't let her do this. We have to honour mom"

"Noah darling, your dad has made a commitment and right now, it's more important to honour the living than the dead", Mrs Stinson said, her words daring him.

Noah seethed; I could feel his anger emanating all the way from where I was standing and I could feel him just restraining himself.

"Noah, unfortunately Grace is right, this lunch is important. I can visit your mom's grave any other time", Mr Stinson spoke, interrupting the glaring match between Noah and Mrs Stinson.

"Dad! You rarely ever visit, we usually need the anniversary of her death just to get you there", Noah ran a hand through his hair in frustration

"Son, what I've said is final. Don't argue with me", Mr Stinson said to Noah with a note of finality.

Woah... I would have never expected this from Mr Stinson. What kind of witchy voodoo did his wife have on him?

The pause in their conversation was my opportunity to leave; I quietly made my way towards the other side of the room.

"Ellie, not so fast. I need you to deliver the article I just approved to Prime publications right now" Mr Stinson said, his gaze switching on me

"Right now?" I squeaked "But I don't know where that is, sir. It might take a while"

"Noah will take you. C'mon Grace let's go", Mr Stinson said and turned to leave

"But dad..."

"Noah!" Mr Stinson bellowed. I had never seen him angry before but he was just on the verge of it before he took a few deep breaths to calm himself down "Just do as you're told, okay?"

Without another word, he led Mrs Stinson out of the office. Mrs Stinson sent Noah a triumphant smirk just before she went out the door.

"Aaargghh!" Noah groaned slamming his fist against Mr Stinson's wall; thankfully it was not made of glass like the other walls in this place.

Now looking at Noah, I realized something was off about him. He was dressed in all black today, which wasn't actually unusual but today, there was a sadness to him. His eyes looked a little forlorn and I realized today actually meant a lot to him, he must have been thinking about it for a while which explained why it had been so easy to avoid him these past few days.

I walked over to him, he was my friend and I hated to see him hurting. I placed my hand on his arm "I'm sorry, Noah"

His eyes met mine. Deep, sad hazel eyes that made my breath catch in my throat and my heart want to break in two.

"It's fine", he said "Let's just go"

And we went, the car ride was cool and chilly, and it wasn't just the air conditioning. I looked at Noah a few times, torn between staying away from him and being there for my friend. Noah didn't notice though, he was in his own head. Thinking about his mom, I'm sure.