Chapter 37

It was almost eleven when Rodger walked back up onto the second floor. He stopped at Carson's room first to find him sound asleep.  He draped a blanket over him and then turned off the television and lights as he walked out closing the door behind him.

He then walked to Parker's room where he was laying on his stomach reading a magazine. Something that he mused GenZers probably didn't often.

"Hey buddy." Rodger said as he walked in.

"Hey." Parker said in a less than enthused tone. He then turned the page in his magazine.

"What are you reading?" Rodger asked. He wondered if it was Boy's Life but then reminded himself that it was not the nineteen eighties.

"Hockey Life." Parker said. "I'm reading an article on Icelandic hockey."

"Icelandic hockey?" Rodger said.

"Yes." Parker said. "Its a very interesting article."

"I'm sure it is." He then looked at the clock on Parker's dresser. It was eleven o'clock which meant it was lights out for him.  But before he told the boy to go to sleep he needed to talk to him first. "Parker." He looked at him. "Can you sit up for me bud."

Parker closed the magazine and then dropped his legs over the bed sitting up.  He then blankly looked at his father waiting for him to speak.

"I want to talk to you about everything that has happened these past few days." Rodger said.

"I don't want to talk about it right now." Parker said.

"I know but I hate that there is tension between us." Rodger said.

"Well its your stupid fault it's there." The teen shot at him. He then looked away and said "Sorry I shouldn't have said that."

"Don't be sorry." Rodger said. "Tell me how you feel." Parker's body shook as he clamped his mouth shut trying to restrain the words that wanted come out. Hurtful filled with malice. "Parker." He then grabbed the boy by the face making him look at him. "Talk to me."

"Get your hands off of me." Parker said pushing his father back. He then rose to his feet his body still trembling. "You really want to know how I feel."

"Yes."

"I can say what is on my mind without fear of spanking or grounding or being stuck in a corner or have my mouth washed out with soap."

"Yes." Rodger said. "I promise."

"I'm pissed off dad." Parker said. "I am beyond pissed with you now."  Hos eyes began to water. "I'm so freaking pissed there is a part of me that wants to go live with mom so I don't have to see your face again."

"If that is what you want."

"Its not what I want." Parker yelled failing his arms. He then dropped the F bomb.. He then coughed and calmed himself down. "If that is I wanted don't you think I would have called mom and Corbin by now and begged them to let me move back in." His body tensed as he spoke. "Or Grandma Shirley and Poppy." He said referring to his wife's parents who were not Rodger's biggest fans. "No because I want to live here with you dad."

He then sat back on the bed. "Don't you get that dad. I choose to live here, no one forced me to. I choose to live with you even though it meant eleven o'clock bedtimes, being made to stand in the corner like a ten year old." I hate the corner so much. "Even though I knew it would increase my chance of getting my butt whipped."

"I could have stayed with mom, dad." Parker said. "I could have stayed with her and only seen you three days a week. Only put up with your rules for the weekend and alternate holidays."

ParkerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara