Chapter 11

Parker was sound asleep on the couch when Rodger walked in. He was lightly snoring instead of his normal chainsaw imitation. He smiled as he gazed upon his son.

"Parker." The boy mumbled a response. "Parker time to get up." He then began to gently to shake his son.

The boy's eyes flew open as he jumped. "What? Where?" The startled boy said.

Rodger took a step back. "Sorry."

"Its okay." Parker sat up and wiped the sleep from his eyes. "I must have fallen asleep."

Rodger looked at his son amused. "Yes you did." He said. "You've been asleep for six hours."

"What?" He said.

"Its six o'clock." Rodger said.

"I can't believe I slept for six hours." He ran his fingers through his brown hair. His stomach then grumbled. "I missed lunch."

"I put your lunch in the fridge." Rodger said. "You can eat it on the way home." He then patted him on the shoulder. "Come on."

Parker got up and grabbed a white bag and soda that was sitting on the desk. They walked into the saleroom where Justin was addressing the salesmen. "Great job today gentlemen." Justin's eyes then narrowed as he looked at Todd. "Most of you anyway." Todd looked down at the floor while again the salesman Randall took pleasure in his humiliation.

"How many sales did you get Todd?"

Todd looked up at him. "None." Which you know he thought.

"None." He said in annoyance. "You do know the reason we are here is sell cars right."

"Yes." He said as he shifted his feet.

"Perhaps you spent more time trying to sell then on the phone crying to mommy you might have had a sale today."

Randall then snickered which earned him a dirty look from Parker.

"Leave him alone already." Rodger said. "You've embarrassed him enough."

Justin gave him a look which said no I haven't but he then relented. "Alright you can all go."

The salesmen began to walk out and Rodger looked at Justin who put his hands up. "Spare me the sermon I don't want to hear it." He then walked away and went into his office which was to the left of the desk.

Charlie shook his head. "He is ridiculous."

"Yes he is." Rodger said.

"How does he get away with treating people like that?" Parker asked.

"Because this location averages forty five cars sold a month." Rodger said.

Charlie then said "He makes the company a ton of money and he gets away with an abusive jerk."

"It's not right." Parker said.

"No Parker." Rodger said. "Its not right." He then put his hand on his shoulder. "We should head off." He looked at Charlie. "I'll see you Monday."

"See you Monday." Charlie then said. "Parker nice seeing you Parker."

"You too Charlie."

They then walked out of the dealership.

"How is your backside feeling?" Rodger asked.

"Still hurts." Parker said as they walked to the car. A car honked their horn at them as it drove. Rodger waved and then hit a button on his fob to unlock the door.

"I'm sure the pain will be gone by tomorrow." Rodger said.

"I hope." Parker placed the bag and soda on the roof of the car. He then opened the door and sat the pillow on the seat and then grabbed his lunch which was now dinner.

Parker was settled in his seat and pulled out the bag of fries when his dad said. "So tell me what did you learn from all this?"

Parker stuffed a couple of fries in his mouth as he carefully choose what he was going to say next.

"Take your time." Rodger said as he started the car.

Parker swallowed the fries and took a drink of his soda. He placed the soda back into the holder and said "To do what I am told and not to do what I am not told."

Rodger nodded his head. "Anything else?" He then pulled onto the street.

"Yeah." He said. "You can treat someone like dirt if you are making your business a ton money."

"Sadly that is true." Rodger said.

"But that can't be true." Parker said. "Mister Fitzsimmons can't really be okay with Mister Sellers being so cruel to one of his employees."

"But he is." A look of uncertainty crossed his face. "I think."

"You mean you've never told him how he treats Todd."

"No." Rodger said. "Its not like I see him on regular basis."

"But I'm sure Mister Sellers has a boss." Parker said.

"He does." Rodger said as they stopped at a red light. "Owen Keating is the regional vice president and Justin's boss."

"Maybe someone should tell him how much of a jerk Mister Sellers is."

Maybe he thought as Parker took a bite into his sub.

They soon reached home and walked into the kitchen. "Okay so you owe me an hour in the corner."

"Just an hour?" Parker asked.

"Yes?" He replied. "Why do you want more."

"No dad." He shook his head. "I just thought I had earned another half hour for going off the lot with Ken."

"No, you've been punished enough for that."

"Thank you." He said with relief in his voice. He did not think that he could handle ninety minutes in the corner. He was not sure if he could even handle an hour.

"You will do your first half hour now and your second before bed."

A grateful look filled his face.

"Now go stand in the corner." Rodger said and then boy obediently walked to the corner and stood.

You can do this he thought while his father set the timer on the microwave.

Rodger then began fixing his dinner. As he fixed his dinner he thought about what his son said. Someone does need to speak up.

Its the right thing to do.

He then looked at Parker and mused how can I expect him to do the right thing if I don't do it myself.