Chapter 86

West residence...

"Pete." Melinda screamed into the phone as he grasped it tightly. "Pete answer your damn phone!" She slammed her finger against the screen as she let out a cry of frustration. Which earned her a look from her older next door neighbor who was on their way back to their house. "What!" She said forcefully. The neighbor shook their head in response and headed back into the house. "Screw you pathetic old hag." She spat and then redailed Pete's number.  Once again it went voice mail much to agitation.

"Pete you better get your ass back here right now or swear I am going to take a baseball bat to that thick head of yours do you hear me you useless worm." Spittle flew from her mouth as she yelled into the phone. "I want Brian back here now!"

She once again disconnected the call and broke down. "This can't be happening." Melinda sobbed as she felt her world being torn apart around her. "This can't be happening."

Simmons car dealership...

"I don't recognize him." Carson said as he looked at the picture of the man who had spoken with Kenny. He looked up at Rodger. "He's from one of those homes isn't he?" A wave of panic came over him. His heart began to race, his palms began to sweat and he was sure that any moment people from one of these homes were going burst through to door to take him away.

"They are not going to stop?" Carson said as his skin went pale white.

"Carson." Rodger said in a gentle tone.

"They aren't to going to happy until they have me locked away in one of those horrible places."  His breathing became labored and he looked as if he was about to be sick at moment.

"Carson calm down." Rodger told him.

"Calm down." The panicked filled boy said. "How can I calm down." Tears began to race down his cheeks. "I'm never going to be free of them, they are just going keep coming for me..."

"Carson." He said forcefully as he pulled him out of the seat.

Carson's eyes widened in fear. "Please don't spank me Rodger." He said sounding like a ten year old child. "I'll be good sir I promise." His voice trembled.

"I'm not going to spank you." Rodger said. "I just need you to listen to me okay." He placed his hands on his shoulders.

"Yes..." Carson almost called him daddy but quickly stopped himself. He's not Mister Gaines, you don't have to call him that.  "Sir." His cheeks began to glow bright red with embarrassment.  He could not look him in the eyes as his body began to tremble.

"Look at me." Rodger said.

Carson obediently looked at him even though he wanted nothing more to escape his gaze at that moment. He hated how

"Nothing is going to happen to you." Rodger said. "You know why?" He asked him but he did not answer. "Because I am not going to let anything happen to you." A look of determination was in his eyes as he spoke. "And you are not going to let them do anything to tell you because you are going to file a police report and you are going to stop your parents and make them pay for what they put you and your brothers through." He then squeezed his shoulder. "You understand me."

"Yes sir."

"Now calm down." Rodger said. "You are not a little kid you are not adult so act like it."

"Okay." He said sniffing back the tears as he tried to get his emotions under control.

Rodger then let out a sigh. "Come here." He hugged him. "Everythng is going to be okay."

West residence...

Stop it Melinda ordered herself as she laid in the driveway curled up in a ball weeping. You are a making a fool out of yourself. This pitiful creature is not you. You are a strong woman now act like it she told herself. Plus you know that old bag next store is watching you right now. She then looked at her neighbor's house and saw the curtain. See don't give her the satisfaction. Pull yourself together and go get your son.

Melinda forced herself to stand up. She then wiped her eyes as she thought I am strong woman and not some pathetic weeping mess like Calvin. I am better than this she thought as she sniffed back her tears. I am going to get my key, get in my car, catch up with Pete and get my baby back.

Determination filled her as she made her way to the house.

And if Pete tries to stop me from getting Brian back he will have the back of my hand to deal with. She walked into the kitchen and eyed the pantry. No not the back of my hand. She walked into the pantry and grabbed a cutting board that had a small handle.

I don't care if she is nineteen she mused. If he tries to stop me from getting Brian back he will get this across the back of his head.

Maybe it will knock some much needed sense into him. She stepped out of the pantry, closed the door behind her, and then walked into the living room where she had left her purse. And when Christine gets home maybe I'll see if it helps with her attitude as well.

Might take a few dozen swats to get through to her though.

She picked up her purse from the coffee table, reached in to grab her keys only discover they were not there. "What" She said in confusion. "Where are they?" Melinda asked as she frantically began to dig through them. "Where the hell are they?" She then dumped her purse onto the floor. To her growing frustration they were not there. Where can they be?

A wave of comprehension than came over her. "Peter!"

She grabbed her cell phone and hit his number again as she let out a curse. It went to straight to voice mail. "Peter you bring my keys back this instant!!" She trembled with rage as she screamed into the phone. "Peter do you hear me little boy?." Her phone was again assaulted by a stream of saliva.  "Peter!" She screamed again and kicked her purse sending it flying across the living room.

Melinda hung up and dialed his number again.

Pete's car...

Pete ignored his phone as it lit up once again. His eyes then fell on the set of keys that laid on the next to him which he could not help but grin at. He then looked at the back seat at Brian whose cheeks were tear stained.

"Everything is going to be okay buddy." Pete told him and the boy smiled.