Chapter 58

Carson was dropped off at the Cole residence an hour after they had left the dealership.  He thanked Miranda and Cyrus for their help and then walked up to the porch with an ice coffee in one hand and a bag of snacks he bought at the office supply store in another.

As he walked up to the door he nervously looked around for any signs of the green van or white car. He had not seen when they are the office and he had feared that they would be staked out of the house waiting for him.

But fortunately they were no where to be seen. A small sigh of relief passed between his lips.  He hoped whoever they were had given up.

Carson unlocked the door and then waved to Miranda and Cyrus as he walked in. He locked the door and looked out the window again. The only people he saw were Mrs. Schroeder and another neighbor sitting on the porch drinking tea and keeping a perpetual eye on the neighborhood.

Oddly their presence made him feel safe and secure. Which was something he had not felt often for the past eighteen years of his life.

More like what trivial, insignificant thing is going to get me spanked or grounded today.

At least it won't be that way with Rodger. He will be a lot more fair than my parents ever were.

I better text him and let him know I'm back so he doesn't worry Carson thought and pulled out his phone. Though I'm sure Miranda called him to let him know.

Carson sent off the text and then walked into the kitchen to put his snacks away. He placed them on an shelf in the pantry and then eyed the belt and two paddles they hung on the wall.

Knots formed in his stomach as he gently touched the paddle without holes. His mind going to the one that Mister Gaines used on him often. He could feel its sting across his backside how he stroke would make his teeth rattle. He could his screams of pain, his cries for mercy that would go unheeded.

And then there was the laughter when he was done. Not a loud gut busting laugh but a small chuckle thar he would let out as he slapped him on the butt with hand.

The chuckle sounded in his mind again causing a cold shiver to pass through him causing him to rush from the pantry and closing the door behind him.  He then leaned against the door as he pushed the sound of the paddle, his cries, and demonic chuckle from his mind.

Get out he commanded them as he slid down the door. He then curled up in a ball holding his legs tightly and wept.

His phone then went off and he saw that he got a text from Rodger. He wiped his eyes and read the text where he was told to stay inside until they came to pick him up. He was a little nervous about whoever was following him and was not sure what they would do if they caught him by himself.

Nothing good Carson thought.

I will sir he replied. He then asked him if he needed him to do anything to which Rodger replied get the suitcases out of the attic and vacuum his room.

Will do Carson told him.

Carson then sniffed as he told himself to stop acting like a little baby and get off the floor. You're eighteen, a man try to act like it.

He composed him forcing himself off the floor onto his feet. Steeling himself he made his way out of the kitchen.

Carson carried the luggage which consisted of three large suitcases and two garmet bags which he sat at the front door.  He looked out the front window and there was still no sign of the van and car or any other strange vehicles.

They might think I'm still at the dealership he thought.

Carson then went upstairs stairs where he diligently vacuumed his room. He was not sure if Rodger would make him stand in the corner if he did a poor job like his mother would but did not want to take that chance.

He had put the vacuum back when his phone rang. He pulled out to see that it was his brother David.

Didn't think I would ever be hearing from him. He almost sent it to voice-mail but decided to answer.

"Yes, David."

"Hi Carson." His brother who was twenty one and away at college said. "Mom tells me you are moving out."

"Yes, I'm moving in with Mister Cole." Carson's jaw tightened as he spoke and he braced himself for the angry tirade that he was sure to come. "I guess you are calling to tell me what an ungrateful brat I am, how I am breaking mom's and dad's hearts, and that I need to stop my foolishness and submit myself to them again."

"No." David Mayhew said. "I'm calling to tell you that I'm proud of you."

Carson stopped in his tracks. "What?"

"I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself and getting away from them."

"Really?" Carson asked.

"Yes really." David said. "I think its great you are moving in with Mister Cole. He will treat you a lot better than mom and dad."

"Yes, he will." Carson said as he walked into his room and sat on the bed.

"And at least he is not a creep like Mister Gaines."

The mention of his name made him sick to his stomach. "No, he's not."

"I just wanted to let you know that I am getting out too." David told him. "I was going to wait until the end of the semester to move out but now that you are moving I am going to do it this weekend before my mom and dad can sink their claws into me any deeper."

"Might be a good idea?" Carson asked. "Do you need any help."

"No, I'll be fine." David said. "Molly and her brother and her brother's girlfriend are going to help me move." He told him. "It won't take too long I've been slowly putting myself stuff in storage the past few weeks."

"I'm glad you are getting away from them too."

"Thanks."

"I feel bad that we are leaving Grant with them." Carson said referring to their sixteen year old brother.

"Don't worry about Grant." David said. "He will be fine. Just get yourself away from him and then when we can get him out in a year and a half." He then said "Just be careful they mom and dad are not going to let you go easily."

"Or you."

"No but I'm an adult in their eyes." David said. "That is why I went away from college while you are at a local college and you still require a baby sitter and I don't. You are still a child to them and they are not going to let get away with them without a fight."

"I am being followed." Carson said. "Someone has been staked outside of Mister Cole's house. Do you know who they are?"

"My guess is they are probably someone dad has paid to abduct you and take you somewhere to turn you in a obedient little boy again."

"That's sick."

"That's mom and dad." David said. "Be careful bro."

"You too."

"I will be."

They spoke for a few more minutes and then hung up. Once he was off the phone his body seized up was with terror. They were out there he could feel it. Out there waiting for the chance to pull into their van and take them to some secluded place where he would never be seen again.

His stomach began to do somersaults as he feared that he would never be free of them. They will never let him be free.

Carson locked the door and hid under the covers terrified that he would be taken at any moment.