Chapter 81

"I've never seen him so depressed before." Zane said to Jakeem as they made their way to their fourth period class. "These stupid rumors are really getting to him." Anger flashed across his face as he thought about how much they hurt his friend. Righteous indignation filled as he thought how he wanted to see Arla severely punished for the pain she had caused him.

I don't care if she is a girl she needs to be caned for this he thought. And not just her but everyone who spread and listened to these rumors.

"I can imagine." Jakeem said worried for his friend. He wished that Parker still had his cell phone so he could see how he was doing. He then eyed a couple girls who were staring at them as they walked by. They let out a giggle that he found troubling. "I don't think its just the rumors." Jakeem told him. "Its probably not being able to speak to Christine too."

"I can't imagine not being allowed to talk to my girlfriend for a month." Zane said. "Though she is really doing Parker a favor by not letting her to talk to him."

"I doubt he sees it the way." Jakeem remarked

"No, he doesn't." Zane said. He is too blinded by love to see her true nature. "But maybe some time away from her will help him see what her for the controlling narcissist she truly is."

"Hopefully." Jakeem then saw a younger boy walking down the hall. A look of disapproval crossed his face. "Kenji." The boy gave him a nervous look and Jakeem wagged his calling him to him.

Kenji Agata gulped as he walked over to him. "Yes Jakeem." He said and gave Zane an uncomfortable look.

"Your shirt is untucked." Jakeem said pointing at his shirt tail that was hanging over his belt.

"Sorry."

The timid boy went to tuck it in only for Jakeem to say "Stop." He then froze. "Go to the bathroom and do it."

"Okay."

"And then come back for your write up when you are done."

"Yes Jakeem." He then nervously eyes Zane again and rushed to the bathroom. "Do you see any other dress code violations?" Jakeem asked as they watched the students pass by.

"No." Zane shook his head. He noticed odd stares from a couple of girls as they walked by which gave him an unsettling feeling. They then broke out in laughter which did not help matters.

What was that all about?

A quizzical look crossed Jakeem's face. "I was curious." The sixteen year old said. "Have you given up this ridiculous idea of making Parker a prefect."

"Its not a ridiculous idea." Zane said a bit offended. "And no I haven't."

"I was hoping that you would come to your senses about that." Jakeem sighed heavily.

"There is no need for me to come to my senses because Parker being a prefect would be good for him."

Jakeem blinked in surprise. "You really think that."

"Yes." Zane said.

"I think it would be bad for him." Jakeem said. He saw Kenji returning to them with his shirt tails tucked in. He pulled out his demerit pad and began to write his name on it. Zane could not but notice the Kenji had the same terror filled expression across his face.

"Relax." Zane said. "Its just three demerits not fifty."

"Yes Zane." Kenji said unable to look him in the eyes. It was then that he realized that Kenji was not scared about being written up but of him.

What is going on with him Zane thought. He's never been nervous around me before. The way he is acting you think I was Forest.

Jakeem tore the slip off and gave him a yellow carbon copy sending him on his way. "So as I was saying I think making Parker a prefect would be a bad idea. I don't think it would be something he would be comfortable doing and it would cause him a lot of stress emotionally." He then let out a breathe. "And that is what I told Dean LaMee."

A look of betrayal crossed his face. "You told Dean LaMee that?" He said indignantly. "Why?"

"Because I'm watching out for my friend." I have no idea what you are doing he thought.

"What did he say?" Zane asked.

"That he will take what I said under advisement but was still considering your recommendation." Jakeem said. "And that the final decision is Parker's and Parker's alone."

"I agree."

"Do you?" Jakeem asked with an accusatory look in his eyes. One that Zane did not appreciate.

"Yes." The first period bell rang. "I told you that I am not going to force him to do anything he doesn't want to do."

"You better not dude."

"I won't." He said. "I promise." He then looked up and down the now empty hall. "We better get to class."

"We better."

They rushed to their classrooms. Zane walked in apologizing to his teacher who marled him tardy.  Two demerits for me he thought as he walked to his seat in the back of the class. Which puts me at ten. He then noticed a male student smirk at him. He felt the sudden urge to ask him what he was snickering at but refrained and too his seat.

Zane opened his English lit book as the teacher went over the symbolisms in E.E. Cummings poem In Just. His eyes began to glaze over and he pulled out his cell phone and looked at the message he received from Parker's dad earlier. He was in the middle of wondering why he wanted to talk to him when the texts started coming.

"Pervert."

"Creep."

"Sicko."

His eye brows raised in curiosity as he thought what in the world.

"Parker is your friend how can you do that to him you disgusting freak?"

What are you talking about? Zane asked the anonymous sender.  His eyes widened when he saw the response.

"What!" Zane said in complete shock. His skin went pale white as he reread the reply thinking this had to be a joke. A sick joke.

"Problem Zane?" The teacher asked as the attention of the entire class was now on him. The boy who was snickering at him when he came was looking at him in complete amusement.

Yes there is a problem a big problem. Two more texts came. One telling him that he needed to kill himself. "I need to see Dean LaMee." Zane did not wait for the teacher to give him permission to leave. He just ran out of the room.

This is Arla it has to be he thought as his stomach began to do somersaults.