Chapter 24

Carson did not join them electing to stay in the guest room for the rest of the night. Rodger guessed that he felt it would lessen his chances of getting into trouble.

Or he was just too embarrassed to face them.

It was after ten o'clock when Rodger went to check on him. He knocked on the door and heard Carson say "Come in."

Rodger opened the door and found standing besides his bed with his hands behind his back looking straight ahead. "You doing okay?"

"Yes, sir."

"Would you tell me if you weren't?" Rodger asked.

Carson relaxed and said "Yes, Mister Cole."

"I'm glad to hear that." Rodger said. "Your mom texted me, she wants me to take your phone for the night."

Carson showed no reaction. He just pulled his phone from his pocket and deposited it in his open hand.

"Thanks." Rodger said and put his phone in his pocket. "I'll give this back to you after breakfast."

"Yes sir." Carson said.

Rodger leaned against the desk and crossed his arms. "I was curious. Who is Mister Gaines?"

He watched as Carson tense at the mention of his name. "He's a friend of my parents. He's very strict."

"Stricter than your parents?"

"Yes, sir." Carson answered. "Ten times stricter."

"That's pretty strict."

"It is sir." Carson said. "He makes me got to bed at nine, I have text my whereabouts every thirty minutes even if I am at work or school, sometimes I have to send him pictures to prove I am where I say I am." The boy became more uncomfortable as he spoke. "He does not allow us to watch television or listen to music, we can only use the computer for school work and he takes our phones unless we are going out."

"What does he do when you break the rules?" Rodger asked.

Carson shuddered. "He spanks us." He replied. "He uses a switch on Grant and I."

It was Rodger's turn to wince. "Sounds painful."

"It is sir."

"I see why you wanted to stay with me."

"I knew you would be strict but fair." Carson said.

"I hope I am." He said with doubt in his voice.

"You are sir." Carson said. "Believe me."

"Thank you." He said. "Well you won't have to check in with me every thirty minutes, no bedtime unless you show me you can't handle not having one."

"I can sir."

"But Parker is going to bed now and I will be soon." He said. "You have to stay in your room unless you want to get something to drink or need to use the bathroom."

"Yes sir."

"Don't stay up too late though."

"I won't sir." He said.

"Good night."

"Good night."

Rodger walked out and into Parker's room where he was dressed in a pair of white pajamas and sitting on his bed.

"How is Carson?" Parker asked.

"He's fine." Rodger said.

"Tell my dad are you really going to spank him if he is bad?"