Chapter 67

At first Rodger was taken aback by Parker's bombshell. He looked at the sixteen year old dumbfounded for a few moments unti he realized that he shouldn't be surprised. After all his mom had replaced him with her stepkids and kids she had with her husband. . Then he did not tell him that he was dating Miranda and spending time with Cyrus instead of him.

Of course the boy would be terrified of losing me,  in constant fear of being replaced.

"I'm sorry." Parker said dismayed that he actually spoke those words. I shouldn't have said that. I should have kept it to myself. "I didn't mean that."

"No." Rodger said forcefully causing Parker to blink. "Don't you dare take that back." Rodger leaned forward. "If that is how you feel then own it don't pretend that you didn't mean it."

"Yes sir." Parker said.

Rodger looked around the diner. There were about a dozen customers and probably a half dozen employees. This was not the place for wish he was sure was going to be a very emotional conversation.

"Let's go for a walk." Rodger said as he stood up.

A few minutes later they were walking out into the parking lot. Parker was heading towards the car Rodger said "No this way." He then put his arm around him and guided him down the side walk past the other shops to a small bridge that connected the shopping center parking to the movies' parking lot.

Parker saw that that new Fast and Delicious movie was out but he guessed that would be while before saw it.

"Do you want a soft pretzel?" Rodger aaked pulling him from his musings.

"Sure." Parker said with a slight shrug.

"Let's get a pretzel." Rodger said.  They walked over the bridge to where the pretzel cart was. He told Parker to take a seat on a bench and the went walked over to the pretzel cart where he wondered two pretzels and walked  back with them.  "Here you go." Rodger handed him one of the pretzels and sat next to him.

"Thank you." Parker said and bit into it.

"You're welcome."  Rodger took a bite out of his pretzel, he chewed, and swallowed. "I'm sorry." Rodger said. "I'm sorry that I ever made you fear that I could replace you."  He then looked at Parker. "You are my son, I love you and I could never replace you."

"But Carson and Cyrus are everything you have ever wanted in a son."

"No they're no." Rodger said in disbelief.

"Yes they are dad." Parker said.  "Carson is the obedient son who you never have to worry about sneaking a girl into your hot tub when you are not home."  A awkward look crossed  his face.  "And Cyrus is the son who shares your interests. They are the perfect do over sons." He then smirked. "Which is ironic considering I was your do over son for Spencer.."

"You were never a do over son." Rodger said with his voice strained with emotion.  He saw a skeptical look in Parker's eyes. "You're my son period. Yes I've wanted to do better do better with you than I did with your brother and sisters but for your sake not my own." He then let a breath. "And Carson and Cyrus are not all I want in a son you are."

Guilt and shame filled Parker. "Even when I disappointed you."

Rodger rubbed the back of his head. "Even when you disappointment." Hr assured. "I'm not looking to replace you Parker because I could never replace you and I don't want to replace you."

Parker did not look convinced.

"Maybe I should send Carson to your grandparents."

"What?" He said shocked.

"If him being there is upsetting you perhaps it would be best to send him away."

"What!" Parker said. "No." He looked at his father as if he had lost his mind. "We just moved him in it would be cruel to send him away."

"I know but him being there worries..."

"You sending him away is not going to alleve my fears." Parker said. "It would just make it look easy for you to toss your son aside with little to no thought."

"He's not my son."

"Yes he is." Parker said as he stood to his feet. "I've seen you with him, how you hold him care for him. He is your son." He then muttered. "More a son to you than Spencer has ever been."

A look of sadness in his eyes. "I do love Spencer, Parker. I really do. I love all of my children." I just wish Spencer and my girls loved me back.

"I know dad." Parker said. "But you love Carson too and giving him or Cyrus up is not the right answer."

"Then what is?"

Parker sat down and thought for a moment. "Just promise me that no matter what happens you won't push me aside. That you won't forget about me."

"Of course." He then took Parker in my arms. "I'm sorry if I made you doubt my love for you or that I was looking to replace you."  He then pulled back. "You are my son Parker and I will never stop loving you."

"Thank you dad."

Rodger then rubbed his back. "Come on let's head back to the house."

"Okay."

The two got up and started to walk back to the car. Despite his father's words of assurance doubt was eating at him. He could not help but fear that his father had found the perfect sons and he would tossed aside soon like yesterday's garbage.

And he was not sure what he was going to do when that happened.