Chapter 17 - Guns

She was never letting anyone talk her into doing something like that ever again...

      (Y/N)'s heart was still pounding while being in the safety of the truck. But thanks to her getting that alarm off, fiends stopped coming out of the forest which gave them enough time to pick off the ones surrounding the trucks and quickly get out of that area.

      That alarm still felt like it was ringing in her head...

      As Drake entered the truck with the rest of the soldiers after checking the damages left by the fiends, she quickly picked his pistol up by the barrel and held it out for him to take. It felt heavy in her grasp and honestly made her more nervous than she liked.

      He could tell her reluctance to have such a weapon in her possession. Even one as small as a pistol. He took the gun back and she eased up once it was gone.

"Don't like guns?" He asked with a light chuckle, making her narrow her eyes at him. "One of these days you're going to have to use one."

"Isn't that your job?" She questioned back, her voice a little trembly from her adrenaline subsiding. He was her 'bodyguard' after all.

"It is. Doesn't mean you're free from not using one." He stated, leaving her to ponder that.

       She watched him go and moved to pull her legs up into the seat.

       The day was beginning to come to an end by the time they reached the small town of Browford. The sign upon entering showed a population of only 38,000 residents.

       The evening sun colored the sky with bright hues of oranges and yellows that made the leaves on the trees with matching colors pop out more. But despite the serenity the sky offered, it only highlighted the aftermath of the town down below. The main street that the trucks rode in on was covered with trash, broken glass from raided small businesses, and the occasional fiend that hobbled the street and sickenly growled at the passing trucks.

       While orders to stay on guard were passed through the soldiers, (Y/N) only gazed at the town longingly and fell quiet as the trucks began to pull over.

"We're taking a momentary stop here. I want a team to check out that gun store for anything useful." Rose's voice came over the radio.

      Just outside of the trucks was 'Willard's Armory', a gun store that had been one of many places to be broken into and possibly raided when things got bad. But ammo was one of the captain's necessities for the team. If any were left, they were taking it.

      (Y/N) had been gazing out the back windows of the truck when Drake approached and opened the doors. He glanced at her for a second before nodding his head to follow. She looked confused but eventually did.

      She hopped out of the truck and saw other soldiers taking guard to make sure no random fiend came upon them. As she looked around the deserted roads, there were barely any cars around. Tire marks were left behind so she assumed many of the residents must've tried to get out of town as fast as possible. She just hoped they were able to get somewhere safe.

      Before she went to follow Drake, she glanced back into the truck to see Dell and Wes who were still in the middle of the debate they were having about their respective universities. They were arguing about which one was better and why.

      Her friend was staying back to keep an eye on Wes' leg. Dell gave her a 'be safe' before she left and went back to telling the scientist how her university had the better food options. Wes immediately disagreed.

      (Y/N) went over to where Drake was and nervously looked at the gun store in front of them. She didn't miss the dead fiend that lay sprawled across the front entrance covered in shattered glass. She grimaced as two soldiers got ahold of its legs to drag it out of the way.