Chapter 14 - Stuck

Finally escaping the hospital and seeing the world for what it was now... it didn't relieve anyone's thoughts.

      The team was able to get to their two trucks which were large and spacious enough to hold them all. Including the three survivors that they decided not to leave for dead. Two guys and a lady. All three were pretty upset that Jonathan easily abandoned them back at the hospital. 

      After some interrogation, it became clear that the ex-op had been eavesdropping and observing Rose's team to form that whole plan of his. While the Captain was impressed that the man managed to pull a slip on him, it also irritated him. As for the three remaining survivors, they were not in cuffs and being kept under close watch in the meantime. They would've been left behind but the decision to keep them was obviously not the Sergeant's. 

      Rose wasn't as unforgiving as Drake.

      When they left, they discovered signs of that shooting they heard before. It completely crossed everyone's minds until tey found the source of it. It was an actual military truck with a gun on top. The vehicle crashed against the wired fencing surrounding the hospital and surrounding it were the bodies of both fiends and the soldiers who were overwhelmed. The sight was morbid, to say the least, and felt like a sign of what the team had to come.

       Seeing this didn't leave a good feeling inside of (Y/N)...

      The first road taken was down the mountain toward the local town. It was just as you would expect. Completely in disarray. Vehicles toppled over, small businesses being destroyed by looters, and the occasional corpse on the ground that looked like they should be still but as the trucks passed, fingers and limbs moved.

      (Y/N) and Dell were busy taking care of Wes' leg. The first had given him a rag to bite into while the latter used what tools she had on hand to pull the bullet out of his leg.

      Drake stood to the side with his hand clenching the railing as he grimaced each time Dell would have to move the tweezers deeper in order to get a hold of the bullet. Wes groaned loudly into the rag, holding onto (Y/N)'s hand tightly, and was starting to hurt her by how hard he was gripping. She gave him some comforting pats on the shoulder, hoping that it would ease his grip.

"Almost got it." Dell spoke as she slowly pulled the bullet out. It was a miracle it didn't break into pieces or this would've been a longer process...

      The scientist felt weak after the pain subsided and he breathed deeply against the rag. He loosened his grip on (Y/N)'s hand and fell back against her. He's lost quite a bit of blood but not enough to be fatal. He'll have to recover for a few days, however.

      Drake felt worried for his friend. He looked paler than normal and obviously, his leg wasn't doing any better. Dell did her best to patch up the wounds and bandage him up as best as she could while (Y/N) made sure Wes was comfortable and gave him some encouragement. The antibiotics they gathered from the hospital would keep an infection from spreading but after this, supplies were going to be limited.

      The sergeant couldn't help but feel frustrated by letting his closest friend get injured under his watch. It felt like his fault even though they both agreed to enact it at the time. But seeing the two nurses helping him, even if they didn't completely trust the team, made Drake feel some relief.

      After Dell finished treating the wounds, she sighed. (Y/N) got up from her seat and allowed Wes to lie down. It was the nurse in her trying to make sure he was situated while Dell leaned back in her seat to catch her breath.

      A lot had transpired in just 24 hours that finally being able to sit down was needed.

      (Y/N) wiped her hands on her tarnished scrubs as she went toward the back to look out the windows. Drake reached down to give a reassuring squeeze on Wes' shoulder, glad to see that he was going to be fine. "You'll be alright, bud. Get some rest."