vii) The Dinner Party

When I open my eyes, it takes me a minute to understand where I am and what has happened last. After I remember what happened, I sit up slowly.

Snape looks up from his desk. "What was that about?" He asks.

"Draco hasn't been able to kill Dumbledore yet. He needs to be punished somehow." I answer. "Draco's Mark has been burning like this for a long time and now mine has started to as well. If he learns it happened again, I... I don't know what he will do."

Snape looks at me thoughtfully. "Don't tell him." Snape says. "It hasn't been that long. Only thirty minutes. If he asks tell him that I held you back trying to figure out what Draco is doing, which you still won't tell me."

I am starting to wish I can just tell him now. But I made a promise not to and I am not breaking it.

"As I have told you before I don't know." I answer him.

Snape doesn't press the matter further. "So what are you going to do?"

"Talk to Draco about Katie Bell." I answer standing up. Before I walk to the door, a question comes to mind. "What spell did you use?"

"The usual spell to knock people unconscious." Snape answers. I nod.

"It should be enough for now." I say and walk out. After getting to a safe distance, I put on the invisibility cloak and walk to the room of requirement.

As I expected, Draco is in here trying to fix the cabinet. I just wish we could stop trying or maybe fix it in a way where the travellers are killed.

I watch Draco quietly for a few seconds. He has not made much progress clearly and it seems like he doesn't know what has happened. I decide to give him the bad news myself.

I clear my throat to get his attention. Draco startles a little before seeing it's only me. "Hi." He says.

"Do you know what happened?" I ask getting straight to the point.

"No." He answers, his brows furrowed.

I take a deep breath and tell him about Katie. By the time I finish, he is sitting on the couch, his face buried in his hands.

I had originally planned on giving him a piece of my mind but seeing him like this, I know I don't need to. I sit down beside him and wrap one hand around his shoulder.

"Will she be okay?" Draco finally asks.

"She will live." I answer.

Draco lets out a shaky breath. "I am sorry." He says. "I didn't mean for this to happen. I just couldn't watch you, let you... again and again, He won't stop until I... I succeed."

I sigh silently. We need to be more careful from now on. "Draco." I say quietly. He finally looks up and meets my eyes. I see his tear-stained face. Forgetting what I wanted to say, I lean over and kiss him.

Draco kisses back desperately. It is as if he wants to get lost in the kiss and never come back. I have been watching him suffer without being able to do anything. I also lose myself in the kiss. Anything to keep us distracted from what is going on.