xviii) The Egg

Pansy and Blaise had danced for so long last night that they are still sleeping. We let them and came down to eat breakfast. After last night very few are up this early.

"You should hear what Cedric said." I say again for what feels like the thousandth time.

"Whatever he said doesn't matter to me, does it?" He asks.

I sigh frustratedly. "He might just have told me how to get the clue." I say making him listen.

"What?" He asks forgetting to eat.

"So? Does it matter to you?" I shoot back.

Draco drops his spoon on the plate. "Sorry." He says, trying not to sound as if he hates it.

I decide to ignore that. After all this is Draco Malfoy we are talking about. "I might know how to open the egg but I will need you to get me something first."

"What is it?" Draco asks immediately.

"The password to the Perfect's bathroom." I answer.

"Why?" His voice holds the same confusion as his face.

"Just do it and meet me outside the bathroom tonight." I say. "You will see then."

I hear Draco's frustrated sigh but act as if I didn't. I take out a book on the intention of reading it but Draco doesn't even let me do that.

"I have never seen that book before." He says. I sigh.

"Remus gave me this as my Christmas present." I answer. "It is my mother's journal."

"What did she write in it?" Draco asks interestedly. I slide the book to him and he takes it flipping through it. "About magical creatures." He answers his own question. He stops at the same page I did. "Including dragons."

I try not to laugh. "I send him a big letter saying how it would have helped more if I had it before."

He laughs. "It certainly would have."

I tap the table and ask for the book. He slides it back. I turn the pages and slide it back to him. He reads it.

"Mermaids?" He asks.

I nod. "Read it." I say.

"Mermaids are the most beautiful creatures and blah blah blah." He stops and looks up. "I already know this."

"Keep reading." I say irritatedly.

He huffs but does as I say. When he reaches the necessary part he starts reading aloud again though in a hushed voice.

"'When mermaids talk or sing above water their voice becomes a high pitched screech.' Are you saying...?"

I shrug. "There is only one way to be sure and to get the clue as well."

He nods. "Sounds good. I will get the password." He glances at the door. "But maybe keep this hidden unless you want him to know."

I take the book and put it back in my bag just as Vik and Ivan sit down opposite us. "Haven't seen you in sometime, Ivan." I say completely ignoring Vik.