27: Happy Birthday

A few days later...

Sunday | 3:47 p.m.
October 20, 2013

Akari Jeffers"Thank y'all! Thank y'all everybody for coming to my grandbaby's first birthday bash

Akari Jeffers
"Thank y'all! Thank y'all everybody for coming to my grandbaby's first birthday bash. Her birthday is on Tuesday but we wanted to have it on the weekend because we know y'all have work during the weekdays and the kids have— Oh! I'm sorry Akari. I got carried away. Come on over here and talk honey." Celeste's mother Cheryl told me. She took my arm and pulled me over to be the center of attention since I'd been standing to the side.

All the guests had arrived and before the party could even get started, Mrs. Devine had picked up a microphone and started thanking everyone as if she was giving an acceptance speech. She was all dressed up as if she was heading to an awards show. If they didn't have money I'd say it was over the top but since I didn't expect anything less from people who were well off. Akira was her youngest grandchild and the way Celeste's family showered her with love and still welcomed me with open arms was a blessing.

I was surrounded by only Celeste's family but they didn't treat me terribly because me and her weren't together. I was a bit skeptical at first about having the party here and being around her relatives but the energy wasn't negative and that relaxed me. My daughter's birthday was Tuesday and I planned on celebrating it again with her and even inviting my friends and their kids or kid relatives and Gwendolyn.

The party at Celeste's parents' house though was a way for me to involve them in a special moment surrounding their grandchild. It was best to keep my friends and girlfriend separated from my ex-girlfriend's family. Despite how Celeste had done them I don't think anyone would be comfortable having people here who'd fought their family members. I just wanted today to be about Akira and be peaceful. It was a shame that Celeste would be missing Akira's first birthday just like she'd missed her first steps but that was her own fault.

"Um...I didn't know I was gonna be giving a speech at a child's party but here goes." I spoke into the microphone and everyone laughed. "I just wanted to thank everyone for coming out today and celebrating my baby girl's special day. I'm a first-time father and lord knows that I was stressing about everything being perfect. If it wasn't for Mrs. Devine having the experience for throwing parties for little girls then my daughter's birthday would've been football themed for sure."

Everyone laughed and I looked at Mrs. Devine and she laughed and shook her head. "Again..." I looked at the crowd of adults and children. "Thanks for showing up and let's have a good time. This is a children's party but who says the adults can't enjoy themselves too?" We have lots of food prepared by a wonderful chef and we have an open bar over there." I pointed across the huge backyard.

"Let's have a good time," I told them and they clapped as I handed the mic back to Mrs. Devine. The children had run off and split up to go play on the slide and ball pit, jump in the bounce, get their faces painted, etc. There was plenty for them to do before it was time to eat, cut the cake, and open the presents.