9: Brand New (Part 1)

The next day...

Wednesday | 12:13 p.m.
November 7, 2012

Omniscient
"Big mama I'm about to head out," Gwendolyn said as she walked into the kitchen to see her grandmother at the small island counter preparing lunch. Miss Gwen looked at her and then back down at the ingredients in front of her as Gwendolyn grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge.

 Miss Gwen looked at her and then back down at the ingredients in front of her as Gwendolyn grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge

Miss Gwen had been holding her tongue for two months now about the change she'd witnessed in Gwendolyn. She'd been anticipating the day that her granddaughter would recognize how beautiful she was and own it. Gwendolyn hadn't been confident in her looks or anything else for that matter in almost 3 years. Miss Gwen was all for her expressing herself and coming out of her shell. However, she wasn't a fan of the risky behavior she'd been noticing and the way she'd been carrying herself. She was starting to act like...Yasmine.

This sudden change seemed to come about around the time she'd told her grandmother that she'd be hanging out with Akari. However that same day she'd come home in shambles and never talked about what had happened. Initially, Miss Gwen assumed the worst and thought that he must've raped her from how broken Gwendolyn was but she put her grandmother's mind at ease when she told her that wasn't it. That was all that had been said about the situation but the tension every time he came over to cut the grass after their blowup was certainly felt.

"Did you hear me, big mama?" Gwendolyn turned around to face her as she opened her water and took a sip.

"I heard you girly. Where are you running off to today? Seems like work hasn't been much of a priority to you these days. This is your second day in a row calling in this week."

"Big mama...I'm an adult." Gwendolyn said slowly.

"Never said you weren't." Miss Gwen said barely giving her a chance to finish that sentence.

"I know what I'm doing," Gwendolyn said.

"Could've fooled me." Miss Gwen said, looking at her.

Gwendolyn huffed. "Big mama I don't wanna go back and forth. I'm finally living and having fun. I thought that was what you wanted for me. I thought you wanted me to get out more. And to answer your question from earlier I was on the way to Aiya's house so she can do my hair."

Miss Gwen sighed. "I do want you to have fun and enjoy yourself but I also want you to genuinely love and respect yourself sweet face. I've noticed the rise in confidence and I'm happy but are you happy? I know how hard that's been on you." She eyed Gwendolyn, genuinely concerned.

" She eyed Gwendolyn, genuinely concerned