30: Water Is Thicker Than Blood

Omniscient
Akari slowly looked up from the phone with his mouth ajar as things started to piece together for him. All those times Pastor Willis had brought up Gwendolyn played over in his head.

"How are things with you and GiGi?"

"You came alone today? I'm surprised GiGi didn't come with you. You two are an item now and she should be by your side."

"Gwendolyn and I are having dinner and want you to have dinner with us. Could you get GiGi to come? Her grandmother hasn't seen much of her lately and I'm sure she'd love it."

Akari realized that he'd been played and this man had been sitting in his face for years knowing that he was his father. Being his father and keeping it a secret wasn't even the worst part. The worst part was that he was a...pimp? A pimp who was planning to pimp out his girlfriend. A stray tear slipped down his cheek as his stomach turned. He blamed himself for not seeing that something was off about him. Maybe if he had he could've prevented Miss Gwen from going further with him and kept Gwendolyn out of harm's way. And Tre had been involved? Was going on the camping trip with them his way of getting closer to Gwendolyn to prostitute her? Akari had more questions than answers and his chest started to tighten.

Placing his hand over his chest, he slowly backed away as more tears spilled over the brim of his eyelids. The truth was hard to digest. Akari had always been level-headed and it usually took a lot to make him get out of character but this? He was so torn that he stuffed the phone into his pocket and raced out of the restaurant before Pastor Willis could return. He got into his car and was about to leave but his mind went back to his girlfriend. If he didn't handle this carefully, he might end up hurt. Someone had to help Gwendolyn and Miss Gwen. If he was out of the picture then he wouldn't be able to do so.

He closed his eyes and slowly breathed in and breathed out, trying to calm himself before he went back into the restaurant.

"Pull yourself together Kar." He told himself before sniffling and wiping his eyes. "Think. Think." He placed his hands on the steering wheel. The thought of calling the police and stalling the pastor until they got here crossed his mind. They'd have the evidence of the crime but it wasn't likely that Pastor Willis would reveal their location. 

"Fuck! Think goddamn it!" He hit the steering wheel. After a few seconds, he pulled the pastor's phone out of his pocket. Thankfully the pastor had had it set up to lock after 5 minutes. Akari went into the settings of the phone and changed the code to something he could remember so he'd be able to get into it and show the police. He then turned it off and proceeded to get out of the car, making his way around the restaurant building to hide the phone. He propped it up against the building and placed a big rock in front of it and then made his way back into the restaurant.

Akari walked towards the table and sat back down as if nothing was wrong. Pastor Willis hadn't returned yet but a very angry waitress was standing there. She'd assumed that Akari and Pastor Willis had dined and dashed but her frown faded when she saw Akari return.

"Would you like the check?" She asked. Akari was unresponsive as he just sat there nodding, still trying to process what he'd found out.

 Akari was unresponsive as he just sat there nodding, still trying to process what he'd found out