REJECTION.

The final selection was tomorrow and every lady was excited and nervous especially Teresa. She could not sit still, going from one end to another looking for the perfect outfit. Susan however assured her that everything will be okay. There was absolutely no reason to overcome herself with worry.

The only person who didn’t seem happy was Aurora. She alone knew the outcome of the selection and the thought of the number of people she would hurt troubled her so much. But Amber had to live. Aurora had no choice.

“Aurora is everything okay?” Susan asked in concern later that evening when everyone was getting ready for bed. Teresa had gone out for some air, probably an excuse to see the prince.

Aurora was pulled out of her deep thought “y_yes Susan, everything is fine. Why do you ask?”

Susan shrugged ‘you seem rather down today. I was just wondering why”

Aurora stayed silent but then she stared at Susan and remembered what Susan said that day Tina confessed her feelings for Teresa to them.

“Susan, the girl you love. What if you aren’t chosen, are your parent going to hurt her?”

Susan’s expression became solemn “they will try to make her disappear from my life and that is for sure, but I have already made plans for us to run away together. I heard there’s a kingdom not too far from here that supports women marrying women and men getting married to men. It’s surprising that the kingdom actually has two married Queens”

Aurora was surprised. A kingdom that supports the marriage of the same gender and even has two Queens, Aurora could hardly believe that such a place exists. Maybe if she was not about to betray Princess Amber, they would have also ran away to live there.

“Then, I wish you a happy life Susan” she prayed.

Susan smiled gratefully “I wish the same for you Aurora”

The prayers came too late for Aurora’s life had already become nothing but a big mess.

Teresa returned to the room. The smile on her face when she left earlier was no longer there. She looked quite tense.

The two girls watched her for a few seconds, then she turn to Aurora and said curtly “the prince wishes to see you” and she disappeared into her bathroom, locking herself in.

“What could be wrong?” Susan wondered aloud. They had never seen Teresa like that.

Aurora feared for the worst. Had Ivon told everything to Teresa? She got off the bed and rushed out of the room to avoid any questions from Susan.

As Aurora made her way in the directions of the prince chambers, she wondered why he had asked to see her. If really he had told Teresa everything, does that mean he had finally accepted their fate? Aurora felt relieved and yet sad by the possibility of her thoughts. She was happy that at least Amber would be safe, but she would be trapped in a loveless marriage with the prince. It was all worth it though, Amber’s safety was more important to her than anything else.

Aurora was only half way there when someone blocked her path. She glance up at the tall figure and was shocked to see the princess. “Your highness!” she exclaimed.

Amber said nothing and took Aurora by the hand. She dragged her off to some deserted and quickly locked the door. After making sure the coast was clear, she turn to face Aurora and took her hand again “Aurora, we cannot wait until after the selection before we run away together. The king tried to take my life but I was fortunate enough to have escaped. He knows about us Aurora and I fear it might not be long before he tries to harm you”