THE ROYAL SELECTION.

"Lady Aurora, lord Steven would like to see you in his study" Mia the maid servant at the Williams family home informed a young lady in her teens who sat by the fire place reading a novel.

Her delicate fingers flip through the pages effortlessly and her attention was completely fixed on it. She has her long golden locks in a bun with little petals of flowers decorating the already enchanting color.

"What does father want?" She asked Mia in a sweet melodic voice, keeping her eyes firmly on her book.

"He did not say my lady. He only asked that I escort you to his study for an urgent matter"

She slowly closed the pages of her book and set it down on the table beside the couch. She stood up as gracefully as ever and straighten her wrinkled blue dress.

"Is the matter so trivial that he has to see me in his study right now? Couldn't he wait to discuss this over dinner?"

Mia lowered her head having no answer to Aurora's question to which Aurora only sighed and proceeded to her father's study. 'It better the good' she thought as she walked down the hallways of the mansion.

Her father's study was located at the other side of the mansion, far away from her own room. It would actually take a few walks before she gets there.

Mia pushed the dark mahogany doors to let Aurora in and the first thing that came to sight was the piles and piles of dark brown books on different lengths of shelves.

Her father sat at the middle behind his wide study desk with thin glasses to his eyes and his head lowered, studying the contents of the book he was reading.

Aurora had no doubt that she takes after her father when it comes to her love for books. It was inevitable anyway. Her mother died when she was just three years old and she was raised by her father. She followed in his foot steps in every way.

Rays of sunlight slip through the slightly opened window at the far end of the study. It was actually the only window that wasn't covered by a shelve. Aurora noticed that the place was getting cramp day by day.

"Father you asked for me?" She lowered her head in respect just as her father looked up from his desk. His grey eyes smiled before his lips did and Mia took that as her cue to excuse the father and daughter.

"My dear, please come sit" his voice was soft and warm just like his eyes. Steven has always been a loving father to Aurora and a generous man to the rest of the public. Although Aurora still wished for a mother at times, she was happy that she had her father with her. He's more than enough for her.

Aurora moved forward and took the only seat in front of him.

Steven adjusted the glasses on his face, "princess you know you're growing up right, you'll be turning nineteen in a few months," Aurora nodded unsure of where the conversation was going. By her father's smile she knew something wasn't right. His smile usually reached his eyes but this time they didn't.

Her father sighed and opened his mouth to speak but he hesitated. He looked stress and it made Aurora worried.

"Father is everything okay?" She questioned in a concerned tone.

Her father heaved a sigh that sounded defeated to Aurora's ears, "princess I'm growing old now and you know you need someone who would take care of you while I'm gone" Aurora's heart stopped as she could already see where this was going. Her father noticed the expression on her face but went on anyway. "The king has announced the selection of a noble bride for his son. He had ordered that all noble maidens in the kingdom should present themselves at the palace tomorrow for the royal selection which will take place for just fifteen days"

Aurora was shocked. Out of all the things she thought this would be about, a royal selection was the last on her mind. To be completely honest, Aurora wasn't at all prepared to get married. She has never thought about it.

"But father, this is so sudden. A royal selection?"

"I know my dear," he sighed regretfully "the order was made a few days ago but I was still working up the courage to tell you about it. I was afraid that this may greatly distress your heart as you have not step out of the walls of our mansion since you were little"

Steven was right. Ever since Aurora was young, she had never step out of the Williams family home. She enjoyed staying indoors and all her lessons were carried out within the walls of the Williams mansion. So its safe to say that Aurora knew very little about the outside world.

"But what if I refuse"

Steven shook his head "you can't refuse the king's orders my dear. You have to go"

Aurora didn't like this. A royal selection? She wasn't prepared for this.

Her father reached over the desk and grabbed her soft hands in his. "Princess, you don't have to over think anything. Only one out of many will be chosen and it may not be you. You can come home to me after it is over"

His words calmed her down and Aurora realized that maybe it won't be that bad. A lot of maidens from the kingdom will be there and there is literally little to no chance that she would be chosen.

But what if by some miracle the king decides that she was the perfect bride for his son.

Aurora quickly shook the thought out of her head. There is literally no chance at all that the king would choose her. She knew nothing about being a crown princess, therefore there is nothing to worry about.

Looking into her father's eyes, she nodded "I will go father"

The smile on his face warmed her heart. Aurora would do anything for him and he knows it.

It won't be hard.

Everything will be fine.

All she had to do was go, get disqualified and return home to her father.

It wouldn't be too hard.

Little did she know.