Chapter 34-Roof

Up, I chose.

I scaled and scaled, occasionally taking rests, up to the top. My muscles were burning. If I had any calories remaining, then they were in server anguish.

The bow was too long to be angled horizontally or even at some degree diagonally, the arrows too, so triggering one would be impossible.

I sighed and blindly popped my head out of the chimney. Peering cautiously, I swiftly triggered an arrow before severe assessment.

My right eye firm at the sight, my right index and middle finger working on clasping the arrow ready to unleash it any second from then, tightening the bow string till the bow formed a crescent shape and the string could go no more, I meticulously scanned the roof.

Night had already successfully chased away daylight. The gibbous moon lingering in the sky showered silver lighting for me, reinforced by millions of tinny stars around it.

I spun my head around vetting fastidiously once, and doubled for assurance. There was no one awaiting me on the roof, at least that was what my point of view displayed.

I jumped out of the chimney still angling my bow for any intruder. The concrete roof was freezing cold, but I forced my feet to step.

In extreme caution, I skimmed around the protruding ventilation fans to make sure that my assumptions were right. There was no one. I also scanned the the door to the roof. It was untouched, rigid, and healthy as if no one had even attempted to touch it. Which was not a good sign.

What if he got in and hid? Thirdly screening around stated otherwise. There was still no traces of anything breathing leave alone a human. Estimating, all the time I spent in the chimney would have been more than enough for the man in a black coat to wreck the door and ambush me. Not unless he had an impromptu.

From steaming hot to ice cold. A cold breeze whistled leaving my entire body hair erected. The cold struck me penetrating through the fibers of my clothes like I was naked. I felt every other vain freeze. I could almost swear that my blood was turning solid.

Automatically my hands shook the bow lose from the tingling cold. I shoved back the arrow into the quiver and quickly assessed the roof for somewhere I though would be warm.

One corner seemed habitable. I scuttled for it rubbing my hands together to at least generate some warmth.

Making it there, I sat on the floor, placed the the bow and quiver beside me, and enveloped myself with my knees wrapping my hands around them.

The night would be long. Hoping that the authority would figure something and show up sooner, I knew Saturday's were some of the days which not many people wanted to appear new school.

Cuddling myself didn't make the situation any warmer. I was freezing. I became pale and more wavery second after another. Cold mucus galloping down my nostrils, I felt frozen, cold breezes occasionally striking.

No matter how hard I tried to press my legs against my chest, the cold still penetrated the same. Like I was barely making any efforts.

I went back to the chimney and immersed my body but my head inside. It was warm, but my strength was ebbing with time by the way I was hanging on.

From what was a cold breeze started to drizzle. In a slow eerie manner rain drops fell from the clouds covering most of the sky.

Somehow the chimney was cooling, every water split that touched my body felt like a jab by a knife. It penetrated through my veins like a virus solely aiming on killing me.

I had to do something. Chose between the devil and the deep blue sea. Watch myself die from the cold or go back and scuffle for my life. I would rather take chances.