Chapter 22-Crazy Old Fella

We agreed to meet up the following day.

I slept for I don't know... Forty five minutes or something the whole night. I had decided to see if I could go on without the sleeping pills. Seemingly, I couldn't.

I took the fictional book and decided to go through it once again to see if we missed something. If there were any underlined words, or ghosted within the pages, or magically highlighted, anything that would lead a clue on the owners of the house.

Wade couldn't have been the owner. The pictures in the house were taken in like the early 19's, not even the children could be as young as Wade. The reason he directed us there was what I needed to know.

Illuminating light through the pages and all the detective skills I had seen on TV, there was nothing fishy in either of the hundreds of pages. I went back to the bar code after rereading the book twice. I counted the bars hoping I would get anything productive, but there wasn't any.

I looked at the book in all angles, grazing my fingers on each and every inch to ensure unison in level, meticulously scanning each and every edge, curve and corner. The book was nothing more than an ordinary aged book.

I threw it back to the bedside table, and decided to sketch something before dawn. Which was not too far from then.

Ever since my hand relented and made a drawing of Wade in a black coat, I dashed my sketch book it in the basement and I wasn't in any way going for it down there.

Sketching was in my blood, so I couldn't quit doing it. I shoved out a sheet of plain paper and a pencil from my cupboard. Hoping my hand wouldn't relent and start making a creepy drawing, I placed it on the sheet of paper clasping a pencil. A few seconds of both bemusement and suspense passed. It didn't. How gleeful I was.

Furtively glancing at the book and back to the sheet of paper, I notice something abnormal.

The edge of the square bar code was not in level with the book cover. It was an inch or less higher. I raised the book against my eyes and noticed the same.

Using the sharp graphite tip of my pencil, I started poking the edges of the bar code rattlingly. It started ripping itself off, until finally my nails could get a fair grasp of one of the edges. I pressed it in between my index finger nail and thumb nail and ripped it off.

There was another bar code behind it. It was a sticker.

That could only mean one thing, the book was a clue from Wade. He did it intentionally. He wanted us to find not another book but that one. Our next move was on his fingertips, and if not wary enough we would be in utter jeopardy.

The fact that Gwen snuck in a phone in detention class and might have informed him about us reading books, there was a possibility that he had a blind spot. Albeit that mia probability, we had to be ready for anything that would come our way.

He definitely wanted us to know something, the missing part of the puzzle.

°*°

The down of Thursday came. As agreed, we met at the spot by the bus station. Alma wasn't to meet but go to school and make sure we weren't noticed missing. If noticed then she would have our backs, and notify us as soon as possible.