34. Tricks & Wildfire

"They're welcoming the new king." Matthos remarked hearing the battle drums.

"I've never known bells to mean surrender. They want to play music with us? Let's play. Drums." Davos agreed.

" Drums!" Matthos agreed. Soldiers started to play the drums. The soldiers spring to action, readying for battle. 

"Remember, wait till the ships-" Tywin began.

"The ships are in the bay." Davina agreed

"They must be far enough in-"

"I know what "in" means." Davina assured. "I got this." she assured him. 

"Then you go back, you go back into the castle." Tywin begged. 

"Yeah probably not." Davina corrected. 

"Honey-"

"Draco, I told you-" Avalon begged. 

"I wanted to see you off." Draco offered. 

"Get to your chambers, bar the door and be ready for anything my love." Avalon coed hugging him to her. "Go on honey." Draco sighed touching the hilt of his blade. 

"Are you sure you dont need me and Arya?" Draco offered pouting up at her. 

"Go on." Avalon begged. 

"Where are their ships?" Davos questioned as they got closer to kings landing.

"It was wise to attack at night. We took them by surprise." Matthos offered.

"Avalon seems to be the keeper of secrets, she held hers for over 16 years undetected. There are no surprises here." Davos corrected. 

"If it's true there is dissension in their ranks, maybe their sailors have mutinied." Matthos added

"Maybe." Davos answered uncertainly. 

" The lads caught a groom and two maids trying to sneak away with a stolen horse and some gold cups." a gold cloak remarked coming into Cersei's chambers where she had all the higher women of court huddled up with the children. Draco and Arya were annoyed to be here. They were not scared little kids.  Myrcella clung to Tommen  sitting with their handmaidens. Nora sat with Kelsea as Sansa paced the room. Kelsea was telling Nora a story kissing her cheek. She worried for her family, for her siblings outside the gates, for her parents, for Oberyn. 

" The battle's first traitors. Have Ser llyn see to them. Put their heads on spikes outside the stables as a warning." Cersei agreed and he bowed his head to her.  "The only way to keep the small folk loyal is to make certain they fear you more than they do the enemy."

"Stop!" Kelsea demanded. The gold cloak glanced back at her. "You will do no such thing, the people are scared. They dont have the protection that we do and we are shaking in our boots over here." Kelsea remarked. "They can run with what belongs to them, take the things they stole but let them go." 

"My lady?" The gold cloak looked between them. 

"I'm the princess. My mother is the queen." Kelsea reminded him. "You hurt those people I will have your head on a spike." 

"Go Kelsea!" Draco declared. 

"Of course Princess." The gold cloak agreed. 

 "Traitors are a danger to us all." Cersei reminded her. "More wine." 

"There they are." Tyon remarked. 

"Archers to their marks." Tywin remarked and a solider echoed his words.

"Archers, to your marks!" The archers set their bows. "Archers! Nock your arrows!"

"Nock arrows!"

"Hold fast." Tywin requested.

" Hold fast!" A solider echoed to his fleet.

" What are you doing? We need to attack them." Tyon reminded him.

"Hold fast." Avalon corrected.

"Whatever you know best." Tyon agreed. "Let me know when its go time." 

"Boulders ready!" and "Hold fast!" were called out again. There was but one ship sailing out of the harbor.

" There's only one ship. Where are the rest of them?" Jon questioned. He hated being this far from Davina but knew she had her role to play and so did he. 

" There's only one ship." Matthos remarked.

"Archers, stand to! Man the below! Nock." Davos shouted. The soldiers got set.

"Nock and set!"

"Draw! Hold. Hold." Davos added. They watched the ship sail by. It was unmanned. Confusion filled Davos. "There's no one on board." As the empty ship sails past, davos saw that the ship was spewing green liquid into the sea behind it.

"Wildfire. Steer clear! Steer clear!" Davos shouted in a panic.

"Mum?" Tyon questioned. 

"Do it." Avalon demanded.  "Do it now." 

Tywin threw the torch over the side of the wall. Davina got the signal, lights her arrow ablaze and launched it high into the sky.

"Now get out, Dav." Tywin whispered. Jon stared back at her as she disappeared into the darkness as the sea lite up in a haze of green.

The flaming arrow soared over davos boat and hit the wildfire in the water, which erupted in green flame. The flames crawled towards the ships.

A huge explosion was seen and felt, they felt the warmth from the castle. The ghost ship exploded ferociously, overwhelming many other soldiers. Stannis too recoiled from the blast

"Cool!" Arya declared running to the balcony. "Draco look at this!" She demanded and he ran up to her. 

"They did it." Draco rasped. "They did it!" 

"Damnit we missed all the fun." Arya grumbled. 

"Wars not over yet. MOther said to be prepared for anything." Draco reminded her and they both pulled their blades out. 

"Ready for anything." Arya agreed turning back to the door. 

" Prepare to land." Stannis demanded.

"Your Grace."

"The Targaryen has played her little trick." Stannis corrected

"The wildfire." A solider corrected.

" She can only play it once." Stannis corrected.

" We're too far from the gates. The fire, their archers- Hundreds will die."

"Thousands." Stannis corrected. He headed down confidently.  "Come with me and take this city!"