Say goodbye

Dani POV

I couldn't do it. Not today. Not ever. My sister, my beautiful brilliant baby sister. How was this fair? She had her whole life ahead of her and it was taken away because of an idiotic drunk driver. Lisa and Chris had helped me organise today, making it about celebrating Grace and not mourning her. I wasnt ready to do that, I have had people coming up to me all day. Passing on there condolences and wishing me well. I haven't said much because I don't know what to say.

"Hey"
I look up and see Chris standing there with a plate of food.
"You need to eat Dani"
I shake my head "not hungry"
"Dani...."
"Just stop chris, eating is not going to bring grace back. Nothing will. So just stop"
I walk away and head straight for Graces bedroom, my sanctuary. The only place I still feel her.
"Dani..."
"Chris just leave me alone"
"No"

I look back at him shocked "no?"
"No. I won't. Grace wouldn't want me too, she would want me to be there for you even if you don't. Because she loved you more then anything in this world and she wouldn't want you to deal with this by yourself. So please Dani, let me help you"
"I don't......I don't know how you can"
"I don't know either" he says as he walks towards me "but please let me try"
I nod and he wraps his arms around me, holding me close as I start to sob.
"Why her Chris? Why?"

"I don't know Dani. She didn't deserve this and neither do you"
He just stands there and holds me as I break. He was the only person I could do this around and he knew it. He had become my best friend and I didn't know what I would do without him.
After what felt like an eternity I pulled away, he wiped away my tears and kissed my forehead.
"You don't always have to be strong dani, you can lean on me and I'll be strong for you"
I shake my head "you loved her just like I did Chris, I know your hurting too"

"I am. But she was your sister dani. She meant everything to you."
"Everything and more......I've always looked after her. My parents well as you know they weren't exactly around so Gracie was mine. I watched over her everyday and I should have been with her maybe I could of....".
"No D, this is not your fault. You couldn't have done anything"
"I just miss her so much"
"Me too"
I reach up and kiss his cheek "thank you, for being here. For helping me"

"Always. You mean so much to me, to all of us. Your not alone dani"
I smile weakly and he holds out his hand for me to take.
"Let's get back down stairs and celebrate your wonderful sister"
I nod and he walks me down the stairs, as I reach the bottom I hear Scott and Lisa's raised voices. I walk through the sea of people and see two people who I never thought I would see again.
"What the hell are you doing here?"
"Hello Dani. We've come to say goodbye to our daughter"