136

~ Amelia Laurier Pov ~

"Why are you here again?" his right-hand man asked me, his voice tinged with annoyance. The man sat at a table; his face concealed behind a mask. Despite the veil of mystery, there was a familiarity about him, perhaps because I found myself visiting this place a little too often.

"I want to meet the Demon King!" I declared confidently as I settled into a chair across from him. His right-hand man regarded me with a skeptical look as he continued his work, poring over numerous books spread before him.

"He is busy, get out!" he grumbled dismissively, his tone indicating his impatience. However, my gaze remained fixed on the minute details of his face, captivated by his presence.

"But I have brought some important information with me," I tried to coax him, my voice laced with a hint of persuasion. 

"Wait for some time if you want then!" he shrugged casually as he took his time, meticulously checking the papers in front of him, showing a meticulousness that belied his gruff exterior.

Dressed in a firm hanbok, he appeared like a divine deity. The mask he wore only enhanced his allure, turning it into a precious jewel. His long, smooth hair danced in the air, captivating my attention, while his eyes, both intimidating and soft, seemed to be focused on me alone. It was a strange connection I felt, even though I knew I was a mated woman, bound to Xavier. But our relationship was nothing more than a façade for the public, as we lived separate lives within the four walls of our home. He stayed in his room while I resided in another, never truly experiencing the bond of mates. My last meeting with Xavier as his mate was during my Luna ceremony, and that was it.

Xavier, my first boyfriend since school days, had been a sweetheart. However, my money-minded brain eventually diverted its attention to Samuel, the alpha king. He possessed everything I desired in a mate—wealth, brilliance, and undeniable beauty. But we were never meant to be.

I tried to give up on Samuel, but then my sister entered the picture. I don't know why I felt so insecure about her; perhaps it was because she embodied everything I wasn't. She possessed natural gifts, while I had to work hard for everything. Her beauty was effortless, even with dirt on her face, while I struggled to compare. She had perfect curves without training or dieting, while I fought to maintain my body.

Her silver straight hair, so smooth and shiny, was a natural wonder, while my own hair remained tangled and curly. In the past, I had bullied her, denying her access to shampoos and other items necessary for maintaining her appearance, yet she remained beautiful. I even went so far as to lock her up, as she seemed to attract attention effortlessly, even from the mate who was destined to be mine.

Before her sentence as an Omega, she was the pride of our family, destined to carry on the werewolf bloodline. I became the second chance, and it hurt when my family or anyone else asked about her while I suffered in silence.

Initially, I hated myself and engaged in self-harm for attempting to destroy my own sister's life. But I no longer wanted to be second priority. I was tired and yearned for others to treat me as they did her. I longed to experience that kind of love, to know what it felt like to be genuinely cherished. Unfortunately, no one fulfilled those desires, except for the fleeting moments when my parent's showered attention on me. It felt good, but my family and parents still believed she was special, fueling my hatred further.

That day, when Xavier and Amaris stood in the school corridor, I knew it was over. My dreams of becoming the Luna of one of the wealthiest packs crumbled before my eyes. I hadn't expected Xavier to reject her, but when their eyes met, the wolf within him sought its mate. Yet that sudden urge dissipated as soon as he laid eyes on me, as if I had the power to calm him and his wolf with just a glance.