Chapter 60

A/N: the second half of this chapter is Rafe POV. You'll know when you see ***.

- - -

Audrey had agreed to breakfast with Josh, and she didn't have the worst time. If she put aside his horribly unlikeable personality, of course he wasn't bad to look at. She just tuned out everything he was saying the entire time.

He drove her home and she saw Nathan's car in the driveway, meaning he was already home.

"Can I just use your bathroom?" Josh asked and parked his truck.

She nodded gently. It wasn't a big deal. Audrey's parents had told Nathan about Josh.

She pushed the door to the side, cautiously holding Josh's hand. She knew Nathan was weary about her relationship with Josh... so she felt weird being touchy in front of him.

But when she glanced at him—and the person beside him—she stopped in her tracks. Josh's momentum didn't stop in time and Rafe's initial smile fell from his face.

"Rafe?" She asked breathlessly, stepping to the side so she could move away from Josh. But Josh's hand pulled her back.

She felt like she owed him an explanation— at least tell him that she had nothing serious with Josh. "Josh and I—"

"Are together." He looked down at her with raised eyebrows, snaking his arm over her waist.

Rafe nodded and closed his mouth, swallowing harshly.

He laughed a little and wiped at his nose. "So this is him?" He asked Audrey. "This is the guy you... the guy that was in your bed when you were on the phone with me?"

She couldn't see him, but she knew Josh looked down at her angrily from behind her.

She shut her eyes and sighed through her nose.

"Josh is just here to use the bathroom. He has work to do, right?"

Josh sighed with anger and nodded, knowing he had to leave.

He wearily stepped around her and kept looking over his shoulder as he walked down the hallway.

She let out a pained groan and put her head in her hands. Rafe and Nathan were watching her.

"This has to be a joke." Rafe laughed through his anger.

"I'll give you two some privacy." Nathan said awkwardly and stepped around his friend.

"This isn't about you, Rafe." She assured him.

"Oh it's not about me?" He mocked, his mouth slacked open.

"Just—"

"You promised me that nothing was going to happen with you and Josh." Rafe started and rounded the counter so he could stand right in front of her. "And now you two are together?"

"Stop."

"Is he loyal? Does he not do coke? Is he everything you ever wanted?"

"Stop." She repeated more seriously.

"Does he make you feel like I do?" He stepped right in close to her.

"Enough." She said painfully.

"After all the times you told me you wanted nothing with him—"

He was cut off by her grabbing the sides of his face and pulling him down onto her lips.

She kissed him roughly, their lips pressed together for a couple of seconds, before he pushed her off.