Chapter 21

Audrey swallowed, staring at the passing houses. It wasn't that big of a deal, Rafe almost killed two guys earlier, but she had a bruised elbow and he was losing his mind?

Rafe slammed his fist against the center console. She jumped. She really figured it wasn't a big deal. He was more banged up than she was.

"Who did this?"

"That Axel guy." She said quietly. "He was holding me too tight."

He looked out the window, turning over his shoulder like he was checking to see if he could turn around.

She knew what he was thinking. He wanted to go back there. She grabbed his forearm that was tense against the steering wheel. "If you want to go back there, be my guest. But I'm not going this time."

He looked over at her, his hard gaze catching hers, and it softened, he exhaled and unclenched his jaw. "God, I could kill him" He shook his head as he drove, his fist clenched around the steering wheel.

She swallowed, knowing how when he gets angry, he gets angry. "Please don't." She said, semi-sarcastically. "There's no need to go full Rafe-mode." She teased.

He huffed and leaned further back, his legs spreading as his foot pressed harder on the gas. He tapped his fingers against the steering wheel like he wanted to say something.

She looked away at the house and she heard him take a big inhale, like he was preparing to say something.

"What is it?" She asked.

"What?" He scoffed.

"You looked like you wanted to say something." She explained as he turned into his driveway and parked the car. He ran his hand over his mouth in thought and looked outside. It had completely darkened by the time they drove all the way back.

"Nothing." He shook his head and handed her the keys, stepping out and walking inside while Audrey watched. She sat there for a minute as she prepared herself for his abrasive attitude that was coming on.

She snapped open her door, ready to have an argument with him inside, but as she carefully opened the front door, she could hear two male voices arguing.

"Jesus, Rafe. Do you have to do this right now?" Ward yelled, "I'm trying to have a conversation with you, Rafe!' He yelled.

"No..." Rafe groaned and Audrey heard him take a long inhale through his nose, then cough and sniff again.

"This is what I'm talking about! I can't keep letting this go on in my house." Ward yelled.

Rafe started to back away, "I don't need this right now, Dad."

Audrey heard rustling, and something ceramic shattered on the ground, followed by grunts from both Rafe and Ward. "You need to figure your shit out!" Ward yelled.

"Dad," Rafe started, his eyes rolling back from feeling overwhelmed. Ward grabbed the sides of his son's face.

He looked into his eyes, trying to get Rafe to really hear what he was saying. "Man the fuck up, Rafe." He enunciated. "Man up."

Ward pushed him away and he hit the wall. Ward stormed off to another part of the house, Audrey still hadn't been seen by either of them.

Rafe took long and deep breaths to suppress his anger and he stormed out, the opposite direction of his father, passing the room where Audrey was hiding in and went out to the balcony.

He pressed his palms into his eyes and paced back and forth, repeating something to himself all the while. Audrey couldn't hear what he was saying but as she got closer she could hear that he was repeatedly telling himself to man up.