Chapter 52

"What?" Nathan asked simply but angrily.

Audrey wiped at her lips and stared at the ground, every single curse word running through her mind as she tried to process this.

"Rafe?" Nathan gasped. "Are you serious?"

Rafe hesitated and bent over to grab his shirt. "Well," he shrugged.

"No." Audrey shook her head. "That's not what this is—"

"Is this why you wanted to come back into my life this summer?" Nathan asked. "So you could just fuck my sister?"

"No." Rafe said immediately. "Not at all. We just..."

"Are you kidding me?" Nathan yelled. "All these times you insisted you weren't doing anything with her, you were lying?"

Rafe sighed and looked over at Audrey for help, but she just looked scared.

"Get the fuck out." Nathan pointed to her balcony door.

"Nathan, no," Audrey stood up in between the two boys. "It's not like that—"

"Audrey, stop." Nathan elbowed her to the side and she complied as Nathan grabbed Rafe's collar.

Rafe looked over at Audrey apologetically, when Nathan gripped his collar tighter.

"Nathan, can you not be an asshole for like five seconds and let us explain?" Audrey yelled at her brother.

Nathan loosened his grip on Rafe's shirt but looked over at Audrey.

"Audrey, you don't know him like I do." Nathan said seriously. "He's just going to get you to sleep with him—"

"No, Nathan, you don't know him like I do." Audrey interrupted angrily. "He hasn't left. He hasn't just fucked me and ran off, okay?"

"Yeah, Nate," Rafe said, "I mean, we..." he took a deep breath.

"We're dating and we love each other." Audrey whispered awkwardly and then winced as she waited for his reaction.

Nathan scoffed a little. "He doesn't even know what love is."

Rafe shut his eyes and let out a breath through his nose. "She taught me it."

Nathan hesitated and took a couple deep breaths, waiting for Rafe to slip and say something he didn't mean. "If you want to talk about this at some point, we can. But right now, my dad has his party. Go home, Rafe." He let go of his collar and Audrey released a breath. "We don't need you screwing this up like you do everything else."

"Nathan, why are you such a dickwad?" Audrey yelled at him.

"Audrey, shut up." Nathan said as he started to back up.

"Don't tell her to shut up." Rafe said seriously and took a step towards Nathan.

"Rafe," Audrey said and put her hand on his chest to keep him back, "you should just go home."

Rafe's face softened when he looked down and saw how sad she was and he nodded slowly. "Alright."

Audrey swallowed the lump in her throat and hesitantly wrapped her arms over his shoulders, just needing to feel his comfort. Her heart was pounding excessively, the rollercoaster of emotions from the last couple of minutes left her feeling nervous.

And he wanted her comfort as well, knowing his best friend thought so horribly of him didn't exactly make him feel good.

"Are you kidding?" Nathan said angrily, which made the couple pull back. "Audrey, he's brainwashing you. He's not as good of a person as he makes himself out to be."