Chapter 9

As the twinkie sputtered through Figure Eight, Audrey was laying in the back, repeatedly throwing a ball into the air to keep her mind at ease. Kook party? Did that mean Rafe?

"Okay, keep a low profile." John B said as he pushed the door open, letting out Audrey.

"Wait, maybe just Audrey should go." Pope strategized. "I don't think we'll be welcome there."

"Yeah, you won't be." Audrey teased. She nodded and pushed past John B, letting them know she'd be right back

The party was just getting started. There weren't any beer cans strewn about, chips crushed on the floor by people's feet, and no crowds. Audrey got right through to the bar, and as she rounded the wall to see the plethora of alcohol, she found Josh, pouring drinks for people and being a good host.

"Audrey!" He said happily when he saw her.

"Hey." She said in an unintentionally flirty voice. He started to walk around the counter, reaching for her to give a hug, which caught her off guard but she didn't mind.

She broke away and stared at the bottles in front of her, Josh's arm not leaving her waist right away as she pointed at what she wanted. Coke and rum.

Josh's father owned a rum business and was very famous for their rum. Audrey had tried it before and she had to admit, it didn't make her want to throw up and die like most other rum did.

Josh started making her drink with one hand, his other resting on the small of Audrey's back, which she didn't think she'd enjoy as much as she did, when Kelce and Rafe came in.

Audrey pushed Josh's arm off of her, not wanting Rafe to see that.

"Hey, cuz" Josh said in a displeased way. "Kelce." He nodded

"Hey man." Kelce replied. "Can I get some of that rum?"

"Uh..." Josh hesitated. "Yes."

Josh dumped a cup full, beginning to snake his arm back around Audrey.

Rafe glanced at what was happening, he didn't look particularly upset or affected by it, he simply turned around and started talking to other friends and she sighed, her eyes not leaving him, even while Josh spoke to her.

She was tuning him out, watching Rafe smoothly put his arm over a girl's shoulder and begin to walk to another room with her, Kelce also joining. Her entire heart sank. But what was she really expecting?

Was he okay, though? Did he fight with his dad a lot or was that irregular?

She heard her favorite song start to play and she gasped, turning to Josh. "Dance?"

He gave her a sultry smile, walking with her as she pulled him to where others were dancing, when it dawned on her. The last time they danced like this, they were broken up by Rafe.

Rafe.

Ugh.

She couldn't think about him. She shouldn't think about him. She had a perfectly good guy right behind her, pressed into her as they danced.

And he was pretty. He had nice hair, soft skin, and a voice like butter. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with him, other than the fact that he wasn't Rafe.

His hands had been in the air, holding up his drink as they pumped to the music, but he soon downed the rest of it, putting his cup to the side and refilling his empty hands with her hips.

She had to admit she liked it. Not because it was him, but because it felt good to be so close to someone like this. She had been so touched deprived over the last week–which doesn't seem like a long time, but to Audrey it was.