Chapter 23

Rafe straightened his posture when he heard someone coming up again, for the third time in the time he'd been up there. But he didn't turn around. He hung his head low and twiddled his thumbs together. He wasn't upset by how Kelce acted around Audrey—well, yes he was. But he was more upset because he knew that Kelce was right.

"Hey." Audrey said softly.

"Hey." He replied, turning around and leaning on his hands that were back on the railing.

"What's got you so upset?" She asked, stepping closer to him, tilting her head and making strong eye contact to show that she cared.

"Nothing." He shrugged, forcing a small smile. "Evening's good. Party's good. You seem to be having fun."

"What makes you think that?" She asked, getting closer to him with each word.

He shrugged again. "All of the male attention you're getting." He replied boldly.

"I'm not getting a lot of it." She brushed it off.

"You are." He nodded.

"Not from anyone important." She shook her head, her feet now planted right in front of him, the tips of their shoes were almost touching while she looked up at him.

"None of them are important?" He clarified. "Because let's see..." He took out his hands to start counting with his fingers. "There's JJ... but if it's not JJ it's Josh, if it's not Josh it's Daniel, and if it's not Daniel it's Kelce now, apparently." He said with a smile on his face. He was just trying to get a rise out of her.

She took his hands that were out in front of her, gesturing while he spoke, and she twirled her fists around a couple of his fingers. He had gorgeous hands... powerful and elegant. "What about you?" She teased. "I saw the way Charlotte was looking at you. She was just about ready to take you home."

He shook his head softly to dismiss what she said. He took his hand and weaved it through her hair, holding the back of her head and he licked his lips, studying her face for several moments. His hands caressed her neck and upper back lovingly. A finger dipped underneath the chain of the necklace he bought her... but he didn't say anything about it. His eyes grazed over her whole face like they couldn't get enough of it. "Kiss me right now and try telling me that I crave any lips but your own."

Her heart swelled as he brought up her face while leaning down, his eyes not leaving hers, only to catch a glimpse of her plump lips that were smiling, even as she felt them connect to his.

He kissed her softly, with a certain tenderness that was so uniquely him. Butterflies swarmed her stomach and her mind fuzzed.

Her delicate hands cupped his face like a gentle hug, afraid she'd never see such tenderness from him ever again. Whatever he'd been drinking, she wanted some of that.

He wrapped one hand in her hair, tilting her head to kiss her deeper. She sighed through her nose, her lips parting against his and his tongue slid along the seam of her lips, then sliding against hers, the heat from him pulsed through her. And they both pulled back, keeping their faces close.

His hands didn't release their hold of her, while they breathed deeply and softly, savoring the moment they shared. Audrey had her eyes closed, feeling so relaxed with him holding her face as he was. She feared that if she opened her eyes it would all go away. She rubbed his cheeks with her thumbs, and she felt him place a kiss on her nose and her world stopped. Such a small gesture meant everything coming from Rafe.

She smiled and opened her eyes, the corners of his mouth were turned upwards as he looked at her.

She brushed her thumb over his lips and uttered, "You got a little something." Much like Charlotte had. But she placed a kiss on his lips instead, and they both laughed through their noses.