Chapter 37

"Hi." Audrey yawned as she hobbled into the kitchen.

She woke up without Rafe there. But she found herself awake at one point in the middle of the night with Rafe hugging her tightly. His eyes were open but she was too tired to ask him why.

Sarah also never came in, at least, not to Audrey's recollection. Her mind hadn't recovered from how good Rafe made her feel. She was still not thinking clearly.

She stayed in her PJs as she went down the stairs, it sounded like all of her friends were already up.

It took her some time to get out of bed. She had some cramps—no surprise there.

"Hey." A couple people replied. Her friends were gathered in her living room and doing the puzzle that Mrs. Bennett always left out.

"Good morning." Rafe said from the living room, but stood up and followed her to the kitchen. Taking her waist and smiling down at her.

"Good morning." She repeated and put her arms over his shoulders as he leaned down to kiss her.

"Woah, hey." A couple of their friends yelled from across the room.

"Get a room." Kelce said with disgust.

"Oh my god." Audrey groaned and opened the fridge while Rafe rolled his eyes and stepped around her to go back to the living room.

But it was good that their friends stopped them, because Nathan came into the kitchen only seconds later.

"Nice shirt, by the way." Kelce said to Audrey with a smile.

Audrey knew exactly what he was talking about, but as she pulled cold brew out of the fridge and turned around, she pretended to look down at it. "Oh, yeah." She shrugged and began pouring herself a glass.

"Why are you wearing that?" Nathan asked as he walked around her and into the cereal cabinet.

"I... fell in the pool," She said with a laugh and looked over at Rafe, who returned her smile, "and I didn't bring any extra clothes." She said, "But Rafe did."

Nathan scowled at her and looked over at Rafe. "That's convenient." He said snarkily to Rafe.

Rafe looked up from the table and snapped at Nathan, "What?"

"You just happened to have an extra shirt for her?" Nathan said with exasperation.

"I brought an extra for myself." Rafe said seriously. "She fell in the fucking pool, Nate."

"Yeah and I'm assuming you 'helped her' out of her wet shirt?" Nathan gestured with his arms.

Sarah, Topper, Kelce, and Kaitlyn were staying quiet from where they were seated, pretending to be engaged in something else, but were all listening with worry.

"Nathan, I can and I did change my own shirt. Rafe just gave me his extra."

Nathan rolled his eyes and chuckled through his anger. "Rafe, I see what you're trying to do and I don't appreciate it. So, just quit while you're ahead." He said as he poured milk on his cereal.

Rafe looked around at his friends with shock. "This is bullshit, I'm not even doing anything."

"You're not doing anything?" Nathan said and slammed the jug of milk on the counter.

"She's my best friend's little sister, are you kidding me? I'm not trying to get with her."

"And even if he was," Audrey said to gain her brother's attention. "I can handle myself. I don't need you here to protect me from boys."