Chapter 45

Someone knocked quickly on Audrey's door.

She paused her Netflix show and yelled to them to come in.

Kelce quickly opened the door and hurried over to her bed, handing her a giant basket.

"A little birdie told me it was shark week." He explained. "And the same birdie sent me money to buy you something."

She smiled softly and looked down at the basket. There were her favorite candies—strictly green apple sour streamers—some chocolates, and a microwave stuffed animal that doubled as a heating pad.

"Thank you, Kelce." She said with surprise as she looked through more of it.

"Don't thank me." He insisted. "Thank your scary boyfriend. He scared me into waking up early and bringing this to you." He scoffed. "You know, remember when I said that I could treat you better?" She nodded. "I don't think I could."

She laughed weakly and ripped the tape off the sour streamers.

"Yeah, what's up with that?" He scoffed. "Only green? That's so weird. Now I have like... a lot of blue, red, and orange to eat."

She shrugged and smiled. "Sorry."

He sighed and pushed her to the side and sat next to her. "So what are we watching?"

She laughed a little and explained, "Too Hot to Handle."

"Gross." He shook his head. "You're not moody or anything, right?"

"Do you know anything about girls?" She sassed.

"Not really." He shrugged.

"No wonder you and Kaitlyn are always fighting." She teased and turned up the volume.

"What are you up to for the rest of the week?" Kelce asked and threw some chocolate into his mouth. "Moping about how Rafe is gone?"

"Pretty much." She shrugged but then her face fell. "Well, I have dinner with Josh tomorrow night."

"What?" His head snapped over at her. "Like a date? What about— wait, hold on." He paused and thought for a minute. "What about daddy?"

"Can you please stop calling him that?" Audrey laughed. "And no, it's not a date. My dad wants to hire him so he's coming over for dinner. My mom is making me go."

"Can I come?" He asked and watched the show.

Audrey paused for a while in thought. "Do you seriously want to come?"

"Yes." He said definitively. "I'm on Audrey duty."

"I don't know if my dad would let you, Kelce." She sighed. "It's like an interview. It would be weird if you were there."

"Your dad loves me." He shrugged. "I was just talking to him five minutes ago. I made him laugh when I referred to Rafe as your scary boyfriend."

"Oh my god." She groaned. "Then when you leave, ask him. It's his choice, not mine."

"Fine." He sassed and stuck out his tongue at her.

She stuck hers out too in response, and Kelce finally stopped talking so they could watch the rest of the episode.

He left at the end of the show, quickly down to her kitchen, where she heard him talking to her parents for a couple of minutes, before he texted her.

Kelsea

See you tomorrow at dinner

- - -

"Remind me again why you wanted to come?" Mr. Bennett asked as he let Kelce into their house.