Chapter 49

"What's up?" Josh asked Audrey as he walked by her with her dad.

She watched and didn't say anything. There was always an awkward tension whenever he was over at her house.

When Audrey heard Rafe's motorcycle a couple of minutes later, she ran quickly outside to get to Rafe before he came in, and he looked a little upset.

"Please be nice." Audrey said before he could say anything. "He's working for my parents, okay? They like him."

"They shouldn't." Rafe said definitively and led her back towards her house.

"Rafe, I'm serious." Audrey said. "Just say hello and walk by and up to my room."

"Fine." He said as they went inside. "What about ice cream?" He asked, which made her dad and Josh look over.

"We don't have mint chip." She explained and opened her freezer.

"What's up?" Josh asked casually and nodded his head at Rafe.

"Nothing." He shrugged and turned away, watching his girlfriend pull ice cream out of the freezer. "Just hanging out with my girlfriend."

Audrey turned around and raised her eyebrows at him, as if to tell him to stop. He shrugged, like he was asking what the problem was, she ignored it and scooped ice cream.

"Alright." Josh replied and refocused back on the work in front of him.

Audrey tuned everything out as she filled her ice cream bowl, but she tuned back in when she heard her dad mention her name.

"In the drawer in front of Audrey." He pointed and Josh followed his finger.

Audrey stepped to the side towards Rafe and he tugged her by the waist as Josh dug in the drawer right next to her, giving her a look that she ignored.

He got what he was looking for–stapler–and thanked Audrey before handing it to her dad. Her dad was focused heavily on whatever it was he was doing at the table, Josh trying to follow along, but he kept glancing back at Audrey and Rafe.

Rafe, of course, noticed, and when she looked over at him to proudly show the sundae she made, he quickly kissed her passionately, like he was showing who's girlfriend she was.

She broke away by putting her hands on his chest, a little shocked by how aggressive it was. And when she saw that he wasn't even looking at her, but looking at Josh, she disappointedly picked up the bowl and left the kitchen, across the house and up the stairs. Rafe followed behind with confusion.

"Is there a problem?" He said angrily when they got to her room.

"Yeah." She asked as she set the ice cream down on her desk. "Kissing me and being all over me just for Josh?"

"Yeah." He shrugged.

"Why?" She said with exasperation. "He wasn't even doing anything."

"He was looking at you." Rafe shrugged.

"Oh," she said sarcastically and took a step backwards. "God forbid I make eye contact with another man." She snapped.

"Come on, Audrey, seriously?" Rafe yelled. "He would've been all over you if I wasn't there."

"What the—" Audrey paced. "No he wouldn't. He's working for my dad, he's not going to do anything that would jeopardize that."

"Why are you siding with him?" Rafe asked angrily. "I'm your boyfriend. Why are you yelling at me?"

"I would like to know that when you kiss me it's because you love me." She explained. "Not so you can have the satisfaction that Josh won't be all over me."