Chapter 2

Audrey's heart fell to her feet. She felt her dinner coming up, again. Where was the toilet when she needed it?

She used all of her strength to push it back down, and watched her two best friends betray her.

Kiara had one hand on JJ's lower thigh and the other cupping his jaw, and her lips were moving around his. JJ looked like he was frozen in place, kissing her back ever so slightly with his hand also on her leg, but also confused and unenthusiastic.

Audrey froze in her place, her hand on the door handle into the room. She could slip out right now and no one would have to know she had ever seen this, but she didn't want JJ to think she never showed up. His right cheek looked like it was dark red and turning purple. He seemed to have been having a hard enough day. And even though this was likely to be the end to their relationship, this wasn't the biggest issue of the moment. JJ and his dad were.

Audrey stepped further in the room and slammed the door behind her, startling the two, but mostly scaring Kiara.

"Kiara, what are you doing?" She asked, looking between her and JJ.

Kiara stood, rubbing her hands together nervously and stuttered while she thought of an explanation. JJ sat on the couch, running hands through his hair, dazed and confused.

"I was– JJ needed comfort..." Kiara explained, looking back at JJ for assistance. "So I-"

"Kiara, don't." JJ's quiet voice came from behind her and he looked up at Audrey, an apologetic look in his red, tear-coated eyes. "I think you should leave."

Kiara grabbed her bag that was on the table in front of her and began to walk away from the couch, not taking her eyes off of Audrey. "I'm sorry, Audrey. Really."

But Audrey didn't look at her. It was JJ she was focused on. If Kiara was really sorry, she wouldn't have done that in the first place. She could have controlled herself and helped out JJ like a friend, not taken advantage of him in his time of weakness.

Kiara left when she realized she wouldn't be getting a response, and Audrey finally moved when she heard Kiara's car start and back away out of the neighborhood.

"I'll be right back." Audrey said quietly, disappearing to the kitchen where she knew the first aid products were stored. She took the box from the high shelf in the cabinet and set it on the counter, taking a deep breath trying to figure out how to approach this. She sat beside him, on the impressioned couch on which Kiara was just sitting.

She pulled items from the box with tears in her eyes, silently unboxing the antibacterial ointment and bandages, when JJ put his head on her shoulder, and she heard quiet sobs emit from his mouth.

She tilted her head and laid it on top of his, the both of them sobbing silently and softly together. They both knew why they were crying. The mix of emotions from the state JJ was in, but also knowing that this was most likely the end of their relationship. Nearly a year of their lives would be over and done with. He wrapped his arms around her waist for more comfort and she felt her heart sink. She couldn't leave him in this state. What he needed right now was someone to take care of him. She sighed and wiped her tears, waiting until JJ pulled his head away, "I'm sorry about Kiara-" But Audrey shook her head, silently telling him to not talk about it.

She knew why she was crying, but it was also somewhat relieving? She hated that it had to end this way, but she wasn't sure if it would have ended at all if this didn't happen.

She also hadn't fully shaken off what happened last night.

"We'll talk about it later, okay?" She said, refocusing on the bandages in front of her and tilting JJ's head to get a good look at the gash on his cheekbone. "Is this from his ring?"