Chapter 40

Audrey slowly blinked her eyes open, a small ounce of pain rushed into her head the second she did, and she instantly regretted waking up.

"Hey." Kelce said softly from the chair beside her hospital. "Everyone's here, they just left to get dinner in the cafeteria."

Audrey groaned and tilted her head to the side to try and get comfy. "What happened?"

"You fell off the Hawk's nest." Kelce said. "Concussion and a broken arm."

She sighed when she remembered it. It all came screaming back to her. The whole night, everything with Rafe, John B, and the pogues. And now she had to face it all.

"That's it?" She opened her eyes and looked at him suspiciously. "I fell like forty feet and only got a broken arm?"

She rolled her head to the other side, wanting to fall back asleep before Rafe came back when she saw what was on the table beside her. A bouquet of lilies with a note that said her name in Rafe's handwriting.

"Rafe." She whispered.

"He's coming back." Kelce repeated.

"No." She said sadly. "I don't want-"

"He feels awful, Audrey." Kelce interrupted her. "He's been a mess. He's been up all night and day."

She groaned and closed her eyes, the sound of the door opening made her heart jump.

But she kept her eyes closed out of fear.

"She's up." Kelce said.

Damn you, Kelce.

"She doesn't look up." Rafe snapped at him and sat beside him.

Audrey opened her eyes and looked at the ceiling with a big sigh.

"Oh, shit." Rafe said and quickly stood up. "How are you feeling?" He asked and carefully brushed hairs from her face.

She didn't reply, but the look on her face said it all.

"Audrey, I'm so sorry. I don't even-" he stopped talking and turned around to look at Kelce, who was eagerly listening from his chair. "A little privacy, maybe?"

"Oh, sorry." Kelce surrendered and quickly left the room.

"I don't know what to say." Rafe said sadly. "I had way too much to drink... and the coke, too I just... I'm so sorry."

Audrey furrowed her eyebrows. "This is now two nights in a row that you've done something that you've regretted while drinking."

"Well, at least the first one was something I actually meant." He said upsetly with himself. "Last night was... I don't even know."

She sighed and turned her head to the side, looking away from him.

"You told me to talk to you when I'm sober..." he said carefully, "and I'm sober. And I'll stay sober if that's how you want it-"

"I don't like you on coke." She replied irritably.

"I know, I know." He said sadly. "I don't either. I do things I regret and—"

He was cut short by Audrey's phone vibrating. She completely ignored it, not caring what it was.

"Kelce had to remind me why you slapped me." Rafe continued. "And oh my god, I'm so sorry."

Audrey sniffed through her nose and closed her eyes, unsure of what to say or how to feel.

"I don't know, Rafe." She sighed. "My head hurts."