*Chapter 47

A/N: short chapter my b

- - -

As Audrey walked up her grass, she fell down on her knees, taking some deep breaths and trying to figure out what to say to Rafe. Should she tell him what had happened?

Of course she should. Even if it meant he'd get mad at her or JJ. She wouldn't mind if he got mad at JJ, in fact, she'd understand.

She put her hand on her chest as she stared at the ground, desperately trying to find her bearings.

What if this meant the end for her and Rafe?

What if he didn't believe her when she said she pushed him off?

As she walked past her driveway to her front door, she turned and saw JJ speeding away quickly on his boat.

She went quietly through her house and up to her room, shutting the door behind her and letting out a pained breath.

Rafe was sitting at the foot of the bed, leaning back on his hands with his legs spread dominantly. "What happened?" He said lowly, though he already knew.

Audrey cried out a breath and stepped forward in the light, where he finally saw her sad face.

His face twitched into a frown, but before he went to console her, he wanted to know what happened.

He sighed. "Do you care about me?"

She gasped quietly and took a second before replying, "You don't know what I'd do for you, Rafe."

"Then tell me what you did." He reminded her. "I don't want to ask again."

She closed her eyes and a tear fell out of fear. "He... um," she hesitated and took a big breath, "he kissed me." She looked away so she couldn't see his angry face.

He leaned his elbows on his knees and folded his hands together. "Did you kiss him back?"

"No!" She said immediately and stepped closer to him. "No, I pushed him off of me."

His head whipped up and she reached out for the sides of his face and stood over him.

"I didn't kiss him, Rafe." She whispered. "I wouldn't. Never again."

He shook his head like he understood.

"I won't... I won't see him anymore." She swallowed. "I didn't think he would've done that." She whispered sadly.

He nodded but didn't touch her. He looked away.

"Rafe..." she heaved. "I care about you... so much." She started to cry again. "I don't want anything to ruin this."

He simply continued to nod and bite at his lip.

"I mean I was just... I gave him a hug and he—"

"Audrey." He said deeply and she stopped talking. "I know."

Her chest heaved and she gripped his face tighter. "I'm sorry." She gasped.

He nodded and watched as she began crying harder, not knowing exactly what to say, given her intoxicated brain and confused and shocked state.

But as she took her hands off his face, since he wasn't really reacting to what she was saying, he swiftly grabbed her thighs and pulled her back towards him. "It's okay." He said softly.

"No, but, it's not." She said and stepped back, turning away. "You don't seem okay." She paced.

He stood up and sighed. "Audrey-"

"You're not reacting." She interrupted. "You're not mad? I mean... my ex boyfriend just kissed me and it doesn't matter?"

"It does matter." He insisted. "But you didn't do anything wrong, I know that." Her lip quivered as she looked up at him, a few steps away. "I'll make him regret it. I'm not worried about that." He tried to explain.