Chapter 25

Rafe happily opened the door to his room, balancing his homemade guacamole on a tray with a bowl of tortilla chips in one hand, and two Powerades in his other hand.

He shut the door behind him, and that's when he heard her sweet snore coming from his bed.

He sighed, a little disappointed that he went to the trouble of getting her the food, but he also didn't mind, he wanted her to rest.

He sadly put the tray on his nightstand and tugged off his sweatpants and pulled up the comforters of his bed beside her, and carefully climbed right next to her.

She began to stir, her breathing becoming more faulty as he shifted his weight on the bed.

She opened her eyes and groaned. "Wait... I didn't mean to fall asleep." She mumbled.

"Shh," he replied and kissed her forehead. "It's okay, get some sleep."

"Did you bring me any food?" She smiled, feeling a little bit more awake.

He nodded and asked if she wanted it, to which she of course said yes.

He sat up and so did she, crossing her legs as he took the tray and rested it on his lap.

"I thought you didn't have guacamole?" She asked, taking a chip and digging it into the green dip.

"We don't. But we had avocados." He explained, unscrewing a Powerade and taking a sip, then holding it to her lips but she moved it away.

"You made this?" She clarified, a little shocked that he went to the trouble.

"Mhm." He said, and put the rim of the drink back to her lips for her to sip.

She did, then asked, "what's in it?"

"Avocados, salt, pepper, lime..." he took a second to think "not onions because you hate those," he continued, still trying to think.

She furrowed her eyebrows, trying to remember when she would have told him that she hates onions. She knew she hadn't told him recently, which meant that he either asked one of her friends, or simply remembered from a time she may have mentioned it years ago.

She wasn't exactly paying attention to what he was saying, she felt her eyes well up with tears. No one had ever put that sort of consideration into a midnight snack for her. It was such a simple thing but it meant everything to her.

"And jalapeño flakes." He shrugged, taking a bite and groaning. "No offense, but that's some good fucking guacamole." He marveled.

She smiled, scooting closer to him and leaning into him while they ate their food. She leaned her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. She should not have so many feelings towards him. They came completely out of nowhere and hadn't gone away. This was such a dangerous thing they were doing. What would their friends think of her? Fucking Rafe Cameron... the well-known slut of the obx?

But it wasn't just that. At least, to Audrey it wasn't. You don't commit acts of service just for a fuck buddy, that's for sure, or even travel to the mainland just to buy them a probably overpriced necklace that they said they liked.

Would Sarah be upset if she found out? Or JJ? She didn't want to even entertain those questions. She wasn't sure if she wanted the answers.

She leaned further into him, they made some small talk as they ate, but they mostly ate in silence.

"Nice shirt, by the way." He smiled at her.

"Sorry." She grinned.

"No, it's okay. It looks better on you anyway." He replied. "And what's one more?"