*Chapter 27

A/N- Content warning

- - -

"Hey." Audrey said cheerily as she walked up to Rafe. He was leaning against his bike holding something behind his back.

He swung his arm around him and showed a bouquet of flowers.

She gasped and her heart melted, taking them from his hands. "Lillies... my favorite, thank you." She smiled and gave him a hug with her free hand so she didn't crush the flowers.

He wrapped his arm over her waist and kissed the side of her head. "Of course."

She put them to her nose to smell them and gushed, "How did you know I love lilies?"

He smiled, a small laugh coming out of him, "You used to steal them from Rose's garden."

She put her hand to her face with embarrassment. "Shit, you're right. Tell her I'm sorry."

He leaned down to smell them, a satisfied smile coated his lips as he watched her gush over them.

"Let me go put these in water. I'll be right back."

Audrey's parents were out at dinner with Nathan, so that's how Rafe was able to come pick her up without any questions.

She quickly put a vase in her room, hidden from her family and ran back outside, clutching her purse to her waist.

Rafe put a helmet over her head, which she was hesitant about because she didn't want to ruin her hair, but she knew that he wouldn't ride until she put it on.

The quick drive to the restaurant left her feeling chilly, through the breeze and her lack of jacket or sweater.

But she quickly warmed as they walked inside and out to the deck and ordered their drinks.

"You don't want anything alcoholic?" She asked when he just ordered water, knowing he knew the bartender and was always able to get a drink if he wanted one.

He shook his head. "No, I don't want my bike crashing with you on it." He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and leaned his elbows on the table. She smiled and took a deep breath when he asked, "So what made you change your mind about tonight?" She gave him a quizzical look and he asked, "About being with the pogues."

She shrugged. "I'd rather be here."

He nodded and looked down at his hands.

She smiled and asked, "Is it weird for you if I hang out with JJ?"

"Well, he's your friend so," he shrugged and tapped his thumbs together, "it shouldn't matter." She touched his hand with her fingers to get his attention.

"Right. He's my friend." She emphasized. He nodded like he didn't totally believe her.

He cleared his throat and wiped at his mouth again. "Didn't he- um," he started and furrowed his eyebrows. "Didn't he ask you to get back together with him?"

She thought for a second as she looked at him. "Where'd you hear that?"

She genuinely would have no idea how he would know that. Her and JJ were alone in that room and she didn't tell anyone, and she doubted JJ would have told anyone that she rejected him.

He shook his head. "It doesn't matter. I'm just curious."

She bit her lip in thought. "Well, yes. He almost asked me." She admitted and he sighed heavily through his nose. "But I shut it down. I don't want to get back with him." He looked away with an angry expression. "It shouldn't matter what he wants with me, I don't want him." He put his tongue in his cheek as he thought. "Can you look at me as I'm talking to you?"