Page 8

Janet

I started playing with my ear and taking quick breaths. Hearing the front door made me ten times more nervous then I was before. I could feel myself breaking a sweat as I anticipated Stevanna's arrival.

I could hear giggles and laughter coming from outside of the room. The laughter got closer as Christopher walked in. Stevanna came in behind him still laughing. Since when did the two of them get so close.

Her piercing eyes met mine as she entered the room. She sat across from me at the end of the glass table while Christopher stood against the wall staring at me.

"Hi Aunt Janet" Stevanna's words felt like a sharp blade to my chest.

I couldn't tell if it was her calling me Aunt that hurt me. Or was the baby giving me heart burn.

"Hey Stevanna." I didn't want to talk but I forced the words out of my mouth. "I need to tell you how sorry I am for not fighting harder for you. When I should have"

She tilted her head giving me a confused look. "Fight for me when?"

"When Joseph forced me to put you up for adoption. When Joseph forced your father to adopt you" I explained.

"You mean my uncle" she mumbled.

"Right, when he forced Randy to adopt you" I said feeling Christopher's stare. I looked at him for comfort.

"How long have you felt this way" she asked making me turn my head to her.

"Before you were even born." I took a deep breath. "Once I started showing Joseph found out. He starting planning on me giving you up. At first..."

I paused taking another deep breath. "Baby can you get me some water" I asked Christopher while holding my baby bump.

"Sure" he nodded his head before leaving us.

It was hard telling her this but I looked her in the eyes and told her the truth. "At first Jospeh wanted me to abort you" Stevanna's face quickly frowned like she was disgusted by what I said.

"But me and your father James begged him to change his mind. Then he decided on the adoption. And he wanted me to act as if you were never mine. I'm sorry"

"Wow, I don't know what to say" she said looking down.

"Stevanna I love you, I think about you all the time" I said feeling a lump in my throat. I knew the tears were coming next soon.

"I'm back" Christopher said coming in with his bright smile. His smile made me grin a little as I watched him hand me a cold glass of water.

"Thank you, Stevanna do you want something" I asked her. She shook her head no.

Christopher leaned back on the wall as we continued to talk. "James never told me that part" she said making my eyes water.

"I'll get the tissue box" Christopher announced before running out of the room.

Stevanna and I looked at each other before laughing simultaneously. It was funny watching him run off just to protect my tears. I love that man with all of my heart.