Page 14

Christopher

The night of Michaels death was hard. It was so surreal. Janet was barley speaking on the car ride home once we left the hospital. She carried Story into the house who was knocked out.

"Thanks for everything" I said to Joey. We stood by the car watching Janet and Story get inside.

He looked to me before speaking. "Let me know if you guys need anything. I mean it. You guys are like family" he said to me.

I nodded my head before looking down. "I'll call you tomorrow. I think we'll be okay tonight"

"This is fucked up" he sighed.

"Your telling me, he died before seeing Story" I said.

"Wow, I knew he would've saw her if he had the chance" he shook his head.

"I hope they find that doctor before I have to"

"You think he did it" he asked me. "I think he was set up to do this honestly"

"Really? This is all too soon. Go get some rest and we'll talk on it later" I said patting his back.

"Alright Christopher, Goodnight" he said before heading to his car.

"Goodnight" I stood outside until he made it out the driveway.

That night was real rough for Janet. Once I got into the house I could immediately hear her cry coming from the living room.

I walked in on her laying on the couch. She laid on her side in the fetal position crying out her eyes. As I got closer to her I took my time gradually walking to her.

As I realized her bare feet I almost fell tripping over her shoes on the floor. She looked up and lightly giggled.

"At least I got you to smile" I said before sitting next to her. She sat up and laid her head on my shoulder sniffing her tears.

"This feels like a nightmare" she said softly.

"I know" I wrapped my arm around her rubbing her side gently.

"Story's going to live her life" she said pausing. "Without ever knowing her uncle" she said sobbing.

My heart was breaking just hearing her cry so hard. "No she won't because your gonna tell her who he was. And she'll know just how much he loved her"

"But it's not the same. THEY TOOK HIM AWAY FROM ME" she shouted. My body wanted to jump but I composed myself keeping my arm around her.

"Where is Story anyway" I asked changing the subject.

"She's in the room sleep. I put her in her crib" she said softly.

"Are you ready to go to sleep too? It's been a long day. I can make you some soup" I said looking at her sad face.

She looked up at me and chuckled before giving me a salty kiss. I could taste her salty tears off of her lips.

"Sure I'd like that" she said.

"Ok how bout you take a shower and I'll have the soup ready when your out?"