Chapter 49: The Light in the Dark

Fifteen-year-old Hope stumbled into her room after a hard push. "Maybe now you can learn some manners!" Her father yelled as he slammed the door shut. He had invited his friends from work over for a poker game.

One of them brought his son, Kevin over for Hope to meet. He was eighteen years old and in Hope's opinion, a total pig. Hope's father gave her a choice. Serve the poker players or hang out with Kevin.

"I will hang out with the pig before I serve your filthy friends." Hope went into the kitchen to find the pig.

Kevin was licking some food off his finger. "Hey, cutie. Wanna lick?" He held up his middle finger covered in frosting from the cake Hope made. "Or I could lick you if you'd rather." He suggested walking over to her.

Hope spat on his face. Her argument with her father filled her with a blazing fire she knew would burn out fast. "I'd rather jump off the roof into a burning fire. Get out!" She yelled as her father walked in. He grabbed her by the arm and once again locked her in her room.

Hope stormed into her room and pulled out a secret panel on the floor. Inside was a large block of wood and a small knife. "I hate you!" She whisper-yelled at the knife as she stabbed the block with the knife. She did that a couple of times before setting the block by the door before she threw the knife into the block then sat cross-legged on the floor and cried.

"Nice shot." A charming voice said. Hope spun around to see a boy standing in her now open window. He had strange green and brown clothes, tall brown boots, and eyes like a forest she could run forever in.

Hope ran over to the door and grabbed the knife. "Who- Who are you and what do you want?" She asked at the stranger

"You have fire, I like fire." He said in a British accent. He walked off her window sill into the room. Hope tightened her grip on the knife, much more frightened than she looked.

"You don't need that, I'm not gonna hurt you Hope. I'm a friend. I take it by the tears you're not happy. Are you alright?" The strange boy flicked his wrist and her knife was gone- it was like magic.

"Let's try this again." He grabbed her hand and planted a kiss on her knuckle. "My names Peter Pan. I am friends with your brother, Felix." He told her being more charming than he normally would. It was a slow day and he wanted to have some fun.

Hope blushed at the stranger. Now that she could see him she saw he was very handsome and looked maybe a year or two older than her.

"You know Felix? Is he alright?" He nodded, taking a step back from her so he could look at her. She had on a simple red and black dress. It fell just below her knees and the neckline was very low and the dress had a very tight bodice. Her father always made her wear things like that when his poker friends had their sons come over. Hope crossed her arms hiding a bit of the plunging neckline.

"Felix is having the time of his life in Neverland. He told me all about your little deal with him to come to Neverland when you were sixteen. If I remember correctly it's in two months from now. I came to see if you would make a good Lost Girl. What can I say, I am not disappointed."

"You're from Neverland?" Hope asked, her eyes sparking with wonder.

"Yes. Now let's sit down and chat. Felix told me a bit about you but I want to get to know you  myself." Peter told her. They walked to Hope's bed and sat down. She pulled a sweater off a hook and pulled it over her shoulders trying to hide the low neckline. Peter flicked his wrist and Hope was wearing new pajamas. She had on a silky dark green tank top and a pair of matching pants that faded from dark green to black on the bottom of the legs.

"You have magic? Thank you!" Hope whispered. She had never gotten something brand new except when she was really little and Felix would steal her a new doll every few months.