Chapter 31: Tricked by the Hatter

Amelia knocked on the door trying anything to get it to open. She had to get to Emma before she tried to hurt Jefferson or before he tried to hurt Emma. Both of them could hurt each other, but Jefferson said he wouldn't hurt them. He could very well do it by mistake, he is lost and needs some help. She told herself.

She sat down with her back leaning on the door breathing heavily. It's alright, calm down. You know he isn't gonna hurt Emma, he told you so. But he could have lied. I am being crazy trusting the word of the man who kidnapped and drugged me. But he was trying to get Emma so he could get his daughter to remember him. What if it was my parents trying to do that, to get me back home? Lia, you should trust him. He is a good guy. We just had a very real heart-to-heart, he even let me go. Just stay calm. Think of our books, when the awesome main heroine is in trouble, she can always think her way out of it. I just have to think. What do I know and how can that help me?

"Well, I'm locked in a room that's-" She started then looked out the window to see what floor she was on "-looks like I'm on the third story. There were stairs in the living room that lead up here. If I can get to Emma, I think we can get out. Now first things first, I need to get out of the room." Amelia mumbled to herself, looking around at the. "Come on, Lia, this is your first challenge. The first time something somewhat like a fairytale has happened to you, other than me and Jacob's kiss. That was very fairytale."

She stood up and looked out the keyhole. She saw another door on the other side of the hall. "Think think think. There has to be something in here." Amelia walked around the room and studied everything more carefully. She opened the wardrobe and looked inside hoping something would give her an idea. All that was inside was a lot of skirts, dresses, and shirts. A lot of hats and some clocks hung there as well with scarves for winter. Right before she left, she saw one of the stands a hat was on was off slightly. She turned the head where it was supposed to be and heard a slight pop! come from the back of the wardrobe.

"Bingo." She whispered to herself as she pushed the back and found it moved. Amelia walked into the tunnel that presented itself. It was made of stone and had small lights that looked like torches, but they had electric candles inside. She walked down it, not sure where it led. It took her down a flight of stairs and to a dead end. There were two torches on each wall and an old clock on the wall facing her. "Alright next puzzle, how to get out. He wouldn't have made a secret passageway in his daughter's room without it going somewhere."

Amelia pulled on all the torches hoping it would open another door. All that she found was the button on each torch to turn them off. She tried to pull the clock off the wall to see if anything was on the back, but it was stuck to the wall.

No giving up. Come on, you got this! She told herself trying to give herself more confidence. She inspected the face of the clock and saw there was no glass stopping her from messing with the hands. She moved one of the hands a little bit and heard something. She pressed her ear to the wall and heard a clicking sort of sound. "Like from my locker! It's a lock, get the right time and I get out. But what time?"

She moved the minute hand slowly around the clock till she had gone around all twelve hours of the clock. "Alright, this was made for Grace. What do I know about her that would make a time. Oh duh, Teatime! But when is that?" she asked herself. She knew she had heard when that was from her younger cursed memories when she would make Matt play tea party with her. But when was it? I know it was in the afternoon. Ya because for like three years after school one Friday every month we would have tea. Matt was very picky that it didn't start a minute late or go a second too long. We would eat dinner about an hour later and he would go back to man the shop. He always took a break from like three to seven to spend with me. Well cursed memory me. So, if it took us like an hour to eat, plus waiting an hour that means teatime ends at five!