Old News

I stared at the ceiling. Little red spots would casually appear on the surface before jumping around to a different spot. My mind was going racing and I was unable to calm down.

My vision blurred and tears rolled down my cheeks. My nose was filled with the smell of what I had eaten the previous day mixed with stomach acid.

My body ached from getting thrown around repeatedly. But it could've been worse. I deserved worse. "I'm a monster."

My sister rubbed my back, comfortingly. "You are not a monster, Blythe. You fought women who signed up for fights."

"I should've stopped a long time ago." I sobbed. I shouldn't have continued fighting after the first time I stepped into the ring. I shouldn't have gone back to Jimory and signed a contract. I shouldn't have hurt people.

"You're stopping now and that's all that matters," Bella said.

I couldn't stop.

"They won't let me. Not unless-" I was interrupted by Renee's yell.

"Where is she?" It didn't take long for her to find me in the bathroom. It was the only open door in the house.

"What's going on?" I asked. I knew I was in trouble, I just didn't know why.

"Are you kidding me? Boxing? You could have gotten yourself killed!" Renee screamed. It was the first time she had ever yelled at me.

Bella got up and stood in between us, to diffuse the situation. "Mom, can you lecture her tomorrow? Whatever they gave her is making her sick."

Renee's face softened as she studied me. I'm sure I looked as terrible as I felt. "Who're they? What'd they give you?"

"Speed. I'm not completely sure. They put it in my water." I told her quietly. "And it's not the drug that's making me puke. It's the hallucinations."

"Hallucinations?" Renee sighed. She turned to Bella with a small smile. "Thank you for telling me, Bella. Go call Dr. Kingson."

"He works at the asylum for crazy people." Why would they call him? What could he do?

"Mental health hospital." Renee corrected.

They were going to send me away.

Bella sighed and started to leave the bathroom. "Bella don't call him!" I didn't want to go away.

"Bella," Renee said in a commanding tone.

"Sorry, Bly it's for the best," Bella said apologetically.

Little did she know, she saved my life.

I was abruptly awakened by the sound of screaming. This time it sounded different from the others. It sounded more like a cry for help. It took me a while to register that it was Bella screaming.

But it was too late, I was already standing up and groggily shuffling to her room.

"Can you shut the hell up?" I mumbled. I rubbed my eyes intensely as I made my way over to her bed.

"Sorry." Bella sniffled.

I faceplanted onto her bed. Not even bothering to move my legs onto it. I wasn't fully awake, if I were I wouldn't have come in to check on Bella at all.

"Why are you screaming?" I asked.

"I... Everyone was gone." Bella panted. It sounded like she had run a mile.