Vampire Helpers

I held up the green-eyed baby who wiggled and babbled in the air. She rubbed her face aggressively as she attempted to put her fist in her mouth. We'd only been together for three hours and she was asleep almost the whole time.

Kayli stared at me with wide eyes, she probably didn't recognize me. Babies tended to have short-term memories.

"What are we going to do together?" I sighed. I didn't plan to hang out with a baby today. In fact, I was supposed to go to La Push and smoke with Leilani and Leah.

I wouldn't do that with a baby on my hip.

Even if her mother would.

I set Kayli in a highchair Charlie bought for her. He was actually quite fond of her and asked when she was coming over from time to time. 

As if I'd know.

Sarah just came and dropped off Kayli whenever she felt like it. I would have turned her away but I figured if I did Kayli would end up being sold on the black market.

"Are you hungry?" I asked the infant.

She just looked at me while slobbering all over her hand. It was disgusting but quite adorable.

I took her silence as a yes and made her a bottle of formula. She didn't look old enough to eat anything else but looked like she needed a variety of different nutrients.

I set up the baby carrier and set Kayli in it facing forward so I could feed her while doing other things.

I had promised Charlie he'd come home to a clean house since I had been slacking on my chores. He told me not to worry about it but I didn't want him feeling as though I was taking him for granted.

I had overestimated my ability to multitask and struggled to do anything more than load the dishwasher. Kayli decided to burp up her whole bottle of formula all over the floor.

"Really Kay?" I whined. "I need some fucking help."

As if the Gods heard me the doorbell rang. I answered it, finding Emmett and Rosalie waiting at my doorstep.

"Oh, hello." Rosalie greeted Kayli instead of me. I felt a tinge of jealousy.

"I hope you're here to either clean or babysit." I, gladly, welcomed them in.

"I'm here to provide company and laughter." Emmett shrugged. I pointed to the broom in the corner.

"I can watch the baby." Rosalie offered excitedly.

"I thought you were my friend." I pouted. Kayli leaned towards Rosalie and cooed at her.

"Hi, Kayli." Rosalie gently took Kayli out of the baby carrier. As much as I wished I was the one in Rose's arms, I was glad someone was here to help. Two people were here to help.

I turned to Emmett who was watching Kayli suspiciously. "Start cleaning."

"Yes, Ma'am." He started sweeping the floor.

I went back to the kitchen to clean up Kayli's mess and finish loading the dishwasher. I briefly peeked into the living to make sure everything was going okay.

Kayli was laying on a blanket and on her stomach while Emmett laid on the floor with her. If I had a camera I would have taken a picture. 

Rosalie was examining different bottles of weird goo. "Blythe how old is Kay?" Rosalie asked.

"I could ask her mom." I knew Sarah's number but I doubted she'd pick up. Nonetheless, I dialed her number and waited for a while until it stopped ringing.