Chapter 57: The Treasury, Canyon of the Crescent Moon, 1960

Canyon of the Crescent Moon

1960

Indy and Emily were grinning at each other.

Shorty was glancing between the two, knowing he was missing out on a joke.

Professor Jones Senior stood, holding the Swords of Diya waiting for an answer.

Indy took out a coin from his pocket, and nodded to Emily. She echoed the nod back. Indy flipped the coin in the air, caught it and slapped it on his wrist. He checked the coin, and shook his head, pointing to Emily. "You are the cute one."

Emily took a deep breath, pivoting her gaze. "What was on the scroll, Grandpa? Why was it important?"

"Why dear girl! It was the exact directions I was going to provide you with!"

"Oh." Emily looked at Indy.

Indy lowered his hat.

"Juniors! What are you not informing of?"

"We burnt it." Father and daughter said together.

Professor Jones Senior's eyes bulged slightly behind his dusty glasses. "What..?" He moved toward Indy, raising the umbrella. "Why did you burn history?!"

"Dad - do not use the umbrella!" Indy backed out of swinging range. "Dad!"

"Grandpa!" Emily called out. "It was my fault. It had been used to hold Annie and her children hostage, and I didn't want that to happen again - so burning it seemed better..."

"Annie has children?" Professor Jones Senior turned to Indy. "And I haven't met them yet?!"

Indy swallowed. "Yeah. She has two kids... Tyler and Laurel. Marion, Em and I pulled them out of Communist Berlin. It was about a month ago. They're just settling in at the ranch, Dad. Both are skittish. I can barely interact with her son. But the little girl, I rescued her, so if I'm awake, or she's awake, she's clinging to me."

"Then you can't go, Junior!"

"What do you mean?" Indy shrugged, looking at his injured arm. "My arm is healing just fine -"

"Junior - you found the swords. They'll want your blood first - then they'll turn on whomever's there. Unless you have the instructions that the shamaness' left behind to safely open the doorway to hell -"

"We're toast," Shorty finished.